My monitor blew up again

Time for a new one. Any suggestions on a 21" monitor that offers a good balance of price and quality?

Uhhh, what game did it this time?

Soldier of Fortune 2, believe it or not. This time, though, I blame the monitor.

Weirdly enough, this happened to me at work the other day. I was sitting at the large work area I share with a couple of other consultants, and all of a sudden, the computer monitor across from me exploded and started ushering out billows of smoke. The weird thing is that while the monitor was on, the computer wasn’t. Since all of the screens start quivering whenever a mobile phone rings in the office, and the screen blew up seconds after I received a call on one, I’m starting to think I have the Hiroshima’s Little Boy of mobile phones. Better not get onto a plane with it on me.

Erik, I’ve got a Hitachi CM771. It’s 19", but it does 1600x1200 and is very sharp.

I also have a 21", a very old Panasonic PanaSync S21, but it’s lasted for over 6 years now and is still sharp, so a Viewsonic would probably be good too.

Well, if I was buying a new CRT, I’d look for a bargain on a Trinitron screen. Just can’t beat them.

I may go LCD if my 21" ever gives up the ghost, though. I’m pretty happy with the performance of today’s faster LCDs in gaming.

Just wish they made one with a native res of 1280x960!

What do you do to those poor things? (Granted, playing that Anne McAffrey game was just asking for trouble.)

You must have some nasty Karma. :)

I also have a Panasonic 21", actually inherited from the local newspaper when they upgraded. The monitor is still in perfect shape; it’s at least six years old.

Try here otherwise I suggest a WANG electronics monitor.

House Brand, oooo so delish! It works though

I’d get one of the LCDs with a fast/rise fall. Troll through pricewatch, though you still, fucking annoyingly, have to go look up the rise/fall times yourself.

First page gives a 19" Viewsonic VA930, with a 25ms rise/fall, at $650. I can’t find it on Viewsonic’s webpage, though, which is pretty fucking odd.

Things to watch out for:

Some LCDs have power transformers in them that make incredibly annoying buzzing sounds. The ones with speakers tend pick up interference and buzz, too.

funny… my ‘brand new’ (got it new 6 months ago) ViewSonic 19" just shit itself recently. i’m having trouble with ViewSonic in regards with their repair/replacement policy, and they’re being sketchy on giving me information i want to know…

like, they’ll cross-ship me a monitor, but i’ve gotten 2 different answers as to whether or not i’ll be keeping that monitor, or whether they will be attempting to repair the one i send in to them… and then there’s the $$ hold amount they want to put on my credit card during this time- i’ve been told 4 different amounts, ranging from $270 -> $500, by 2 different reps (3 different amounts from one rep alone).

they’ve been very very vague about how much/if any/how many damn times i’m gonna have to pay for shipping on the monitor(s)… for example, i’ll most certainly have to cover at least sending them the monitor to begin with- i’m cool with that- but they’ve been less-than-forthcoming about whether or not i’ll have to pay for them shipping me the replacement monitor, the shipping of their replacement back to them, or the shipping of my monitor back to me.

on top of all that, the monitor they said they will cross-ship to me isn’t “new”, it isn’t “used”, and it isn’t “refurbished”. so what the hell is it, then? “it’s a functional replacement for your unit” fabulous. so i’ll probably end up with some shit-ass dinged-up b-stock monitor. why am i so worried if it’s temporary? because they said that if they cannot repair my monitor, that, at their discretion, i will either keep the unit they sent me or they will replace it with “something else”.

i swear, i am NOT going to fucking deal with ViewSonic shit EVER. FUCKING. AGAIN.

Just look at the little rainbow colored birds. Most people that would calm down, me however, it ENRAGES.

I got a 19" viewsonic–I think it was Christmas 2000–and it blew up a few months later. I had just turned the computer off and heard a big hiss sound, smelled smoke, and turned just in time to see a little mushroom cloud dissipate over the monitor.

I bought it locally and swapped for a new one that has lasted ever since. It has a pretty good picture, but I am not sure I would buy another. I certainly would never buy one mail order.

Does anyone have any recommendations on big (19"+) LCDs? Have there been any recent reviews on them?

I’m thinking I should replace my (now 8 year old) IBM P200 (which is still a great monitor, but is freaking huge) with an LCD.

many thanks for any pointers!

ASJunk

—side note— while I have DVI on my vid card, I’d prefer standard VGA since I can’t use DVI with my KVM switch.

Sort of off topic, but what KVM do you use? I forge the brand of the one I have now, but it’s a little two port deal. Once you have all the cables hooked up, it looks like a spider and there is no good place to put it on my desk, so I just toss it on the floor and use keyboard shortcuts to switch. I wish I could get one that had all the wires coming out of the back.

My husband recently got a 20" Dell 2000FP, he’s very happy with it. Wherever you get one, make sure you read their policy on dead pixels first - some places won’t take returns on LCDs with fewer than 8 dead pixels. Dell has a 30-day money back guarantee for any reason, which is part of why he bought it from them. He’s like the “Princess And The Pea” with dead pixels - just one in the wrong place will drive him into near-Lovecraftian insanity (on the other hand, someone could stick a Post-It in the center of my monitor and I’d just work around it).

Sort of off topic, but what KVM do you use? I forge the brand of the one I have now, but it’s a little two port deal. Once you have all the cables hooked up, it looks like a spider and there is no good place to put it on my desk, so I just toss it on the floor and use keyboard shortcuts to switch. I wish I could get one that had all the wires coming out of the back.[/quote]

I had been using an el cheapo Iogear Miniview, which was, in my opinion, a fairly good KVM switch. Lacks keyboard switching support (allowing you to use hotkeys to go from one to another), but otherwise pretty nice. It was only two ports, however, and my recent acquisition of a Mac in addition to my gaming machine and shuttle server meant I needed another damn set of ports, so…

I just picked up a Belkin Omniview direct from Belkin using their 50% off deal (I think the promo’s over, but the code was 32149). It’s 4 ports and also has two sound connectors. They’re labeled as front speakers and mic, but I’m using the mic connectors for the rear speakers in my 4.1 setup so I’ve got 4.1 sound for all three machines (although the Mac doesn’t use it). I literally hooked it up just in the last few days and am so far pretty happy with it. The Belkin does support keyboard shortcuts, although they’re not customizable.

ASJunk

My husband recently got a 20" Dell 2000FP, he’s very happy with it. Wherever you get one, make sure you read their policy on dead pixels first - some places won’t take returns on LCDs with fewer than 8 dead pixels. Dell has a 30-day money back guarantee for any reason, which is part of why he bought it from them. He’s like the “Princess And The Pea” with dead pixels - just one in the wrong place will drive him into near-Lovecraftian insanity (on the other hand, someone could stick a Post-It in the center of my monitor and I’d just work around it).[/quote]

Sparky, this may be a really stupid question, but does your husband play many games? I’m curious, since I’ve heard both really good things and really bad things about Dell LCDs. I’d love to pick one up, esp. since the damn things get cheaper through techbargains.com all the time, but I don’t want to get one if I’m going to have lots of ghosting.

Assuming your husband does play games, does he have problems with ghosting?

Many thanks!

ASJunk

What is it with you guys? I’ve had about a zillion monitors over my career, and never had a problem with any of em. The regular OEMed Sonys you see everywhere seem to work fine for me, as do Mitsubishis, and well, pretty much all the others too. I only use CRTs, and I really don’t much care if there is 1% distortion in the corners… Right now I am using a 5 year old Dell-OEMed Sony 21" with an almost-flat screen that is still perfectly fine as far as I can see…

The Samsung 900NF is the best monitor I’ve ever owned: flat screen and excellent color. It also does a great job with text. The 21" version (1200NF) looks to have the same picture quality, although it is kinda bulky. Anyway, that’s what I’d get if I was in the market for something that size.

Maybe it was a delayed reaction to Sniper.