My monitor is dying, isn't it? You can give it to me straight

For the last several weeks my main monitor has been behaving oddly. For no apparent reason it would suddenly change ‘tint’ when I rolled over URL links. Took me a while to figure out what was happening, thought my eyes were playing tricks on me. If I moused over a URL link, the colour tint of the entire monitor would shift ever so slightly reddish, then back again when I moved the pointer off the link. I just figured my machine needed a reboot and didn’t worry about it. A power failure over night forced the reboot issue and now my screen has a permanent red/pink tint to it.

It is a Philips 273ELH 27" LED screen. I have probably had it for nearly three years. It is connected to two machines via an Aten KVM over VGA input - the issue presents with both machines. The monitor in question is the primary of three for may main machine and the only monitor attached to the second. With my main machine, the tint only affects the monitor in question - the other two are fine (they are connected directly via DVI). I have tested the following:

[ul]
[li]power cycled the monitor - no effect[/li][li]reset the monitor to factory defaults - no effect[/li][li]tried various colour modes on the monitor - no effect, though I can reduce the effect by lowering the red balance[/li][li]power cycled the KVM - no effect[/li][li]power cycled both machines - no effect[/li][li]changed the VGA cable from KVM to monitor - no effect[/li][li]tried a direct VGA connection from second PC (quality cable) - no effect[/li][li]tried a direct DVI connection to the DVI input of the monitor - success, back to normal[/li][/ul]

I am left with the distinct impression that the VGA input stage of the monitor is on it’s last legs.

Any thoughts? Anything else I should consider? Is it likely repairable?

Sounds like you tried all the obvious things. And repair would…probably not be cost-effective.

Considering how cheap monitors are right now, repair is probably not worth the time or money if you can even find someone to do it. You can get a perfectly respectable Samsung or LG or Dell 27" IPS panel for between $250 and $350, depending on how fussy you are.

Hmmm, it seems to be back from the dead, at least for the time being.

A few things I read suggested red tint was an indication of backlight failure. Didn’t seem to be the case since the DVI input worked fine. One piece of advice I found was to not just power cycle it, but to unplug it from the wall and leave it for a bit, which I did for a couple of hours while I went out.

Seems to be back to normal now. Interesting…

that’s why it pays off to get the best monitor you can afford. Had the same Dell Ultrasharp 30" for the past 6 years, still going strong.

The best monitor I could afford never quite extended to the cost of a 30" Ultrasharp of 6 years ago. ;) That must have been at least a couple of grand. Think I spent $800 on a 19" Sony Trinitron CRT back in the day. Man I hated getting rid of that that thing six months ago because I knew it was still kicking and as good as the day I got it.

yeah, it was not an easy purchase :o
but it was worth it now that I look back on it.