My son is an amazing football (soccer) player

That’s the dream he’s chasing. Just to play professional anywhere. It is an amazingly difficult road though. Tenacity is the number one trait you have to possess. Over the holiday break he told me that you will always have coaches who tell you that you are not good enough. You have to prove them wrong. Looking back on his path from recreational soccer through youth club to now I can see it so clearly. He’s wiser in his 19 years than I am. Very proud.

Wait… The Staleybridge Celtic?

Well it was their reserve team that they have entered in the league but my son said they had some of first team players playing since it was a home game for Stalybridge.

Ah, I didn’t realise he was in the UK.

I don’t know what sort of offers he has, if any, but has he considered Scotland? There’s a team in the Scottish Lowland League called Edusport who are semi-pro, but it’s one level away from League 2 football and they have UEFA Qualified coaches.

They’re a little different from traditional teams in that they’re specifically looking for young student types to bring in and develop and then send on to greater things. This is Edusport’s first season at this level, after a couple consecutive promotions and they’re solidly mid-table right now.

Scotland would be awesome. Sadly without a Euro passport the work visa is next to impossible.

His academy is going to be playing the Hibernia reserve team sometime in the next few months though, so hopefully he will be selected to the squad. Tomorrow he is on the squad to play the Burnley academy teams which is a combination of their u-19/u-23 teams.

@Vic_Davis, any updates?

He he, thanks for asking. I forgot that I had been bragging here. I don’t feel ashamed though. :) Just proud. He’s doing great.

He’s just about to graduate at the Leeds Headingly campus and punch the degree ticket off so he can start trialing somewhere, anywhere. It’s a tough way to try and make a living especially with a US Passport but he is looking forward to giving it a go.

Here is his latest video of goals and assists from mostly this last Fall 2019. He’s been working really hard on the Arjen Robben left footed hard outside foot push and curl to the back post.

I wish your son all the best, @Vic_Davis. Hopefully you can regale us with stories of your son’s rise up the ranks to the top leagues of Europe in the not too distant future.

Thanks so much. He has turned into a fine young man. I’m really proud of him if you can’t tell :) Long way to go but it’s all about the journey.

Bring him to Dortmund! We did alright with Pulisic and right now Reyna is breaking into the first team. Best of luck to you and your son.

Hey @Vic_Davis, any update of your son going to Finland?

Sadly not this year. The plan was to finish school then show up right at the end of pre-season… If he had already been in Finland like some of the other trialists it would have been possible, maybe. Hopefully by next season a visa and work permit can be arranged assuming the team still is interested. Til then keep training. :)

I’m sorry to hear that it didn’t work out this year, but best wishes to your son for next year. I’d love to be able to see him in Football Manager for a Finnish team.

@Vic_Davis, has COVID messed up your son’s plans or is there a path for him to be a trialist and catch on with someone in Europe?

Hey marquac! Sorry I missed this. Life has been very hectic and difficult lately. But yes, covid 19. Still hoping for something this upcoming season maybe. In the mean time training every day and looking for opportunities in the US.

Has your son been able to sign for a team domestically or abroad? I hope the hectic and difficulty of life has eased at least a little for you.

Hey marquac! Yes! He made it to Finland. He’s spent a year there playing. It’s a lovely country. Being a footballer is like being a musician though, you never know where your next gig is going to be. :)

Congratulations to your son! That is wonderful to hear that he was able to sign with a team in Finland.

I hope he can continue with the same team or keep moving to higher and higher quality teams.

We’re any of his matches televised locally that could be recorded so you could watch him? I’m assuming with COVID that travel to Finland may have been problematic.

Not Ilves by any chance? I’ve seen them play a couple times and their logo is frightening.

Edit : Here’s the logo.