My Steam friend, @LordKosc, tried to scam me?

Same here, this very morning. As soon as I saw “bro,” I was suspect. After two exchanges, I said, “You don’t sound like LordKosc,” and removed him from my Friends list until this is resolved.

EDIT: This was before I was aware of the reporting method. Even more suspect, he pinged me as soon as I logged onto Steam.

Gotta say I thought CSGO was strange and the bro talk even stranger, but I still clicked the stupid link. ugh.

Thanks all, I was asleep!

If you replied to him ,reset passwords asap!

I have steam guard, and I also have unique passwords for every account , so I should be ok now.

Another friend who plays CSGO got hacked and its now traveling down the line apparently.

Same thing, this morning. I was half sleep, so I click the link, but good thing, I have steamguard setup, once I realize it is a scam, I changed my password just to be sure. I tried to message LordKosc on steam, but seems scammer wised up and blocked all communication, so I messaged him here.

Did you not haves Steam Guard earlier?

Also I replied but didn’t click the link; surely I would not need to change my password?

Glad you got it sorted!

I always use my iPad when opening suspect links. Plus, 1Password warned me before allowing me to populate the username and password fields.

Been using steam guard since the first day it was offered.

Same here. I hope not. Waiting to see what others say… I believe I have the extra Steam protection enabled, and 2 factor auth, but going to check when I get home from work today. I can’t do anything here at work unfortunately, I don’t think, as I don’t have any of my login info here.

How the hell does this happen with steam guard active

Steam Chat was having issues yesterday - it’s possible that someone found a way to impersonate someone on Steam Chat without actually hacking or compromising the Steam account. Maybe a authentication bypass on Steam Chat only.

Yeah, that is wild to me as well. @lordkosc you might be in more trouble than you think, I would change the email password tied to your Steam account as well.

So one of my tf2 friends from years back sent me that csgo link that I ended up voting for him and getting this hacking ball rolling, he currently played lots of CSGO, I checked his profile before voting. He was hacked is my guess, and I am not sure if he knows, he is not a IRL friend. And so now it seems his account is now no longer findable / showing on my friends list, and I can’t seem to find him online since had a weird ass steam name.

How can I tell on Steam who I may have ended up blocking or unfriending?

Anything is possible, but that’s not what this was - I looked at his profile after the scammer sent me the messages and it was definitely his profile. Though, I want to double check that and I don’t seem to be Steam friends with @lordkosc any longer on Steam.

I have 2 steam authentication with Gmail. But I will do that just incase. Like I said, every site I use has a unique password already.

I am signed off of Steam, can someone confirm that just incase! :D

Better safe than sorry - they got you somehow, after all.

Well, it would be his profile. An authentication bypass in Chat could make you send messages as that person, without compromising the main account. Everything would look like the message was sent by the person, including following links to profile and all.

Of course, it’s an hypothesis, but that would explain why this would bypass Steam guard and 2FA.

Methinks you’re good, at least for now.

2020-11-05 07_13_49-Window

I will stay offline till later today, someone just PM me here if by chance they see me get online before 1PM.

Thanks all for the many forum PMs today, I woke up and was like wtf are all these messages.

I put a little warning message at the top of my Steam profile page.

1pm what time zone though

You’re connected now, on mobile though…