My Time in My Time at Portia

Finally got a chance to try this out last night. It’s not really grabbing me, and I find myself getting regularly irritated by the UI and the control scheme when using my controller.

I’m a huge fan of stardew/harvest moon/rune factory so this formula should be working for me. I can’t quite put my finger on why. Is it because it’s 3d? Is it too “cute”?

It didn’t hook me the way Stardew Valley did, either, and it seems like it should. It definitely has all the components it needs, and they’re generally well done. There’s something about the structure of the world (with the one huge city) and the way they throw you into it that could have been better. I also didn’t care for the weird digging-for-artifacts gameplay or the systems for processing those artifacts. If it were introduced later, I might have felt differently.

It’s out on Switch now, anyone tried it there?

I played the PC version. It’s a competent 3D Stardew Valley with a lot of content and activities, but something always seemed missing to me.

That is my experience exactly. It’s like it has all the pieces and parts of a competent harvest game, except its missing a soul.

I started this topic so perhaps I should weigh in. There is a lot of good stuff in the game. It is initially charming, beautiful and has some complex building chains. There are plenty of areas to explore and some really interesting terrain. They have done a great job of patching bugs and the game is solid.

I did play for over 30 hours so I got my money’s worth so I do not regret my purchase. But I am disappointed in the product development. The townspeople are paper-thin. The housing aspect is not as robust and I do not get the same satisfaction in creating from MTaP as I do from Stardew. I was really hoping for one more large content dump that improved the interactions with the townsfolk and additional beautification options for the house.

We have an Early Access release date. Finally. May 26

3 years on, I think Granath hit it pretty well on the head regarding the original. There’s a lot to do and a lot to see and build and such. BUT…

…as you play, you realize how thin everything in the original is. It feels like you might be able to do the same kinds of things as you do in Stardew Valley…but you come to realize that you can’t. Sure, your house as you build it up is in 3d. But building out your farm in Stardew just feels far more satisfying and deep. As do the character interactions. It’s absolutely worth trying My Time at Portia, especially if you can get in cheap.

Here’s hoping they address this in the sequel.

I’ve really been looking forward to this, but I usually hate playing games in Early Access that I’m really excited about… I prefer to wait until full release.

But do we have any idea whether this is going to be one of those games that’s going to be in Early Access for five years (that everyone ends up playing and turns out is great as is - Valheim, for example)?

I still haven’t played Baldur’s Gate 3 because it’s still technically in Early Access and I really want to play it. I don’t want Sandrock to be the same.

The original My Time game was in Early Access from January 2018 to January 2019.

I’m curious about the new game since they are adding co-op. Alas, multiplayer mode won’t be included in this initial early access release.

Multiplayer – We’ve heard you, and we are aiming to have a specific game mode for multiplayer, without interfering with our development of single-player. Much is still on the drawing board or in the design phase, but the aim is to support at least 4 players in an open world map, separate from the single-player map. Players will be able to work, fight, and dungeon dive together. We’re also looking to create multiplayer specific missions and storylines. Much of this is dependent on your support!

The sequel has launched in Early Access this morning, for any fans who can’t wait to jump in.

Has anyone been playing Sandrock? I noticed it’s on sale right now (20% off) on steam. It’s still early access, but maybe it’s been polished enough?

I picked it up when it first became available due to the good deal and how much I loved the first game. Played for 10 hours. Game was pretty solid. There were a few places where it was obvious it wasn’t done yet, some placeholder text or people not talking. I stopped because I wanted to wait for the full experience.

I have been holding off because like Silent, I want to wait for the full experience.

Yep, same. I loved Portia so I don’t want to play Sandrock in early access. I’m really looking forward to it’s full release, which I think is still many months away.

That’s me too. Portia is my favorite “life sim” game of all time, I want the sequel to be fully baked before I dive in. I Kickstarted it and have had nominal access for a long time now, but I’m biding my time.

I continue to be tempted by sales, but yeah, I want to experience the full polished game, because I’ll likely play it just once.

There’s always this moment when I wrap up whatever game I’ve been playing, and I’m contemplating what’s next, where there’s a world of possibilities (something in my backlog, something that’s been out for a while I don’t own, take a risk on something in early access?) that I often wrestle with. This often devolves into the Netflix problem, where there’s a 100 shows/movies on your list, and not a single one jumps out now as the obvious thing to play next.

7 posts were split to a new topic: My Time at Portia sequel: My Time at Sandrock