Name 2 significant movies of 1 director

Sometimes I get annoyed, when reading online articles about some known director on any subject and they usually follow up with naming 2 titles of the directors career as an example.

And it happens almost always, that they botch it and pull some random titles from their hat.

Example 1: Martin Scorsese famous for “Taxi Driver” and “The Wolf of Wallstreet”.

Right, Taxi Driver is a great choice, and The Wolf was a good movie, maybe great. But If I have to pull two titles for Scorsese it would be Taxi Driver and Goodfellas.

I go first. Also please give an example for “wrong” movies.

Ridley Scott, known for Blade Runner and Alien.

(I bet they would do something like Gladiator and American Gangster, wtf)

With Scorcese, surely Raging Bull is one of the right answers?

Or Francis Ford Coppola, famous for Apocalypse Now and The Godfather. Wrong answer? Bram Stoker’s Dracula.

Denis Villeneuve, famous for Arrival and Blade Runner 2049.

Wrong: none yet, perhaps? That might change with Dune, but let’s hope not.

Steven Spielberg, famous for Jaws and Schindlers List. Wrong answer - The BFG.

correct: David Lynch known for Twin Peaks and Blue Velvet
wrong: David Lynch known for Wild at Heart and Straight Story

I bet I read the wrong DL somewhere not so long ago, Wild at Heart is of course possible, and Straight Story is a good movie, but not a combination I would expect. Sometimes both movies are wrongly selected.

Wrong: Paul W. S. Anderson, known for Event Horizon and the Resident Evil franchise
Correct: Paul W. S. Anderson, known for Soldier and Milla Jovovich’s Inexplicable Life Choices

Did I do it right?

More wrong than Jack?

This is a fun one.

Joel Schumacher, (in?)famous for St. Elmo’s Fire and Batman & Robin.

Incorrect: Famous for Phone Booth and Blood Creek.

Correct: Hal Needham, known for Smokey and the Bandit and The Cannonball Run
Wrong: There is no wrong answer.

In situations like this I usually assume they article is trying to have it both ways, by giving the director credit for their classics, while also trying to connect with an audience under the age of 50… the people who remember a fully nude Margot Robbie, but have no idea Travis Bickle once had a mohawk.

Sydney Lumet
Right: Dog Day Afternoon and Network
Wrong: Gloria

Paul Anderson
Right: Boogie Nights, There Will be Blood
Wrong: Resident Evil 1, Resident Evil 2

Ron Howard
Right: known for Apollo 13 and A Beautiful Mind
Wrong: known for Solo: A Star Wars Story

Lolol.

Charles Laughton
Right: The Night of the Hunter
Wrong: n/a

OK last one.

Shane Black
✔️ known for Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and The Nice Guys
🚫 known for The Predator

This is an entire game on Doug Loves Movies, but for actors. He uses IMDB’s “Known For” feature, which can spectacularly arbitrary.

I think there’s a pretty good case that the “wrong” choices are correct. I would definitely choose them over the “correct” ones.

That movie is good. There are genuine stinkers in Coppola’s career, but that’s not one of them.

Doubly wrong because W.S. didn’t direct Resident Evil 2, he only wrote it.

lt still doesn’t explain how the same guy wrote both Resident Evil 2 and The Royal Tenenbaum though…

OMG, you’re killing me. I love it!