Name this science fiction book?

Quarter to Three: The Book

Sounds vaguely similar to The Santaroga Barrier.

Reading the reviews and synopsizes of the Santaroga Barrier, I’d say it’s pretty close, but I don’t think that’s it. I’m pretty sure that the community was somewhere in the South/Southeast, and the story was a lot shorter than 200+ pages.

“Dune: the Mississippi Years”

A whole town of hick mentats, interesting.

Chalk me up as another elementary school kid that had nightmares after reading (and seeing the pictures in) The Plant People. I still remember that book to this day. I never knew the Book Mobile could hold such fear inducing literary works! ;-)

Can I re-use this thread to fish for an answer? I’ve thought about this sci-fi book for many years but can’t remember the name or the author :(

I read this book a long time ago, maybe mid 1980’s. The time was many years in the future (billions?) and the universe was coming to an end. It took place on earth and the protagonists were trying to find some sort of wormhole to a new universe. One of the main characters was some sort of big, 4 legged, plant-based creature and I remember another was a primitive man. He’s part of a tribe and they are trying to get them all through to a new universe.

When I type this out it sounds like an LSD trip, but it’s not :)

Sounds a bit like Jack Vance’s Dying Earth, but I don’t remember any attempts to escape via wormhole. There are giant plants and devolved humans, though.

Definitely not Dying Earth or anything else by Vance. I’m stumped.

I don’t know if the one you are looking for is well known or not, so I’m just shooting in the dark. Olaf Stapledon’s Last and First Men?

Hmm, the final Cities in Flight novel deals with the end of the universe and an attempt to avoid it by essentially manipulating space-time, but I don’t recall any plant beings in that.

Given that I read this as a teenager it must be close to ancient.

Book that dealt with the consequences of first contact and that language barrier was almost impossible to overcome. If I recall there was a physic feedback once you could understand the alien language.

Babel-17 by Delany?

Thanks @RichVR just reading the wikipedia synopsis im not sure that’s it. But i’ll check it out.

Omg how can I just not buy the kindle version of this.

Of Babel-17? I think Amazon has a Kindle book that contains 3 Delany novels, one of which should be Babel-17. Also maybe Stars in My Pocket Like Grains of Sand, and Nova?

Dang I found it. I’ve looked in the past and couldn’t enter the right search terms… thanks!

Ah, that makes sense. I haven’t read any Farmer in years. He really isn’t very good…though The Fabulous Riverboat is a classic. The World of Tiers, on the other hand, is dreck.

Yes they do. I picked it up a while back.

Ouch! That review is harsh!

I have a sci-fi novel or short story that I was trying to remember the name of. It’s set with a group of humans who settled on some alien planet with no intelligent life or so they thought. After a period of time something wakes up the plant life who are sentient and they want back from the humans the plants that they had consumed as it was essentially part of their bodies. I remember one of the first lines was something like “I would tell you my story but they have taken back my tongue”. I always thought it was a short story by Ursula LeGuin but I can’t find it on her list of short stories. Any help would be appreciated.