Nancy's tough anti-lobbying rules

http://www.cbc.ca/news/reportsfromabroad/champblog/2006/10/nancy_pelosis_tough_new_rules.html

Here are some of the new rules Pelosi wants: No House member may accept any gift of any value from lobbyists, or any firm or association that hires lobbyists.
No free travel, which means an end to the corporate jet line every Friday at Reagan National Airport.

No free tickets to Redskins games; or no meals of any value, even at a McDonalds; no front-row seats at entertainment venues. No, no and no.

Temptations resisted

To reduce temptations to cheat, Pelosi’s bill attacks the usefulness of members to richly endowed lobbyists.
House members will no longer be able to slip in special-interest projects on unrelated legislation. Such measures will no longer be allowed on a bill once negotiations between the Senate and House are complete.

Further, all bills will be made available to the public a full 24 hours before a final vote; presumably this gives watchdog groups a chance to flag any skullduggery.
Under the Pelosi rules, lobbyists will no longer be able to use the House gym (you’d be surprised how much gets negotiated in a sauna).
Lobbyists will no longer be allowed onto the House floor or to use the cloakrooms just off the floor, preventing last-minute arm-twisting.
What’s more, no member or staffer will be able to negotiate for employment in the public sector without disclosing such contacts to the House Ethics Committee, and within three days of such contact being made.
Finally, all of this will be audited and investigated by a new Office of Public Integrity, and that office reports, directly and only, to the U.S. Attorneys Office.

Me like! Hope they can Git Er Done!

That would be a welcome change. It’s a sad fact that such shenanegins have become the norm in the House. I’ll believe it when I see it though!

House members will no longer be able to slip in special-interest projects on unrelated legislation. Such measures will no longer be allowed on a bill once negotiations between the Senate and House are complete.

You go, Nancy!!

My respect for Ms. Pelosi has increased.

Goddamn. Thumbs up on this one. More like this and next time around people may actually be voting Democrat instead of not-Republican.

Yeah, yeah, it’s really awesome, but why are we learning of this through a Canadian news source? sigh

Because we don’t have an effective Democrat spin machine to plaster the air waves with their message.

Awesome. I like all of that.

Oh yay. So oversight remains with the House Ethics Committee, who did such a bang-up job last time.

…And the House Ethics Committee will be audited by a new office that is run out of the Justice Department, entirely independent of the Legislature. I guess you skipped that part.

ETA: DAMN YOU BEN SONES!

Well, this is a pleasant surprise.

Definitely. I had little respect for her before, as part of the establish “DNC” democrats that I’m so sick of. Getting stuff like this done would help turn that negative view around!

If this is a PR stunt, let’s have more of them. Now let’s have a very public vote of who votes for and against this.

Is this an actual drafted bill that will be going to the House for a vote, or just something that makes a good speech?

I like this. I like this a lot. I like this so much that, although this is along the lines of what I would’ve wanted to see, I never expected it. Pelosi +1.

Did I say San Francisco Values FTW yet? Go Nancy!

AWESOME. That section addresses everything I think is wrong with our government today. If she actually pulls this off without it being corrupted somehow, then I nominate Nancy Pelosi for president.

Speaker-to-be is no stranger to earmarking

When the House passed a massive spending bill last November, Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi made sure her constituents knew what they were getting.

“Pelosi Secures $115 Million for San Francisco Transportation, Housing, Science and Arts,” she proclaimed in a news release.

It wasn’t an unusual announcement. Like many of her colleagues in Congress, Pelosi for years has celebrated bringing home the bacon to her district.

But now — as Pelosi prepares to take over the House after an election in which scandal helped drive Republicans from power — she is promising changes to the controversial practice of earmarking.

Hope she follows through with her new rules.

I wonder how many riders will get attached to THIS bill…

You almost made me cry, thank you.

Hopefully Senator Reid has something similar in the works for the Senate.