Nanny State Diaries #2: British girls locked up in orphanage by New York City

Janet Devers has not been thrown in jail, and nobody is planning to do so. She is facing a trial and possibly a large fine.

Considering her own brother lost a similar case over five years ago, the verdict should come as no surprise to her. After all, running afoul of the law is the whole intent of civil disobedience.

Never mind, then.

For me, the upholding of sensible, fair and comprehensible standards is one of the few areas for which a government is essential.

The same people getting pissy about the metric system are the same people who were pissy when we changed from the incomprehensible LSD system of 12 pennies in a shilling and 20 shillings in a pound, making 240 pence in a pound. And with four farthings in a penny, that was 960 farthings in a pound. Oh and a guinea was 21 shillings, or 252 pence or 1008 farthings.

If traders are allowed to use any system, even ones that people don’t understand, then it becomes a simple matter to rip people off without ever being able to prove that the trader did anything wrong; “I sold him three pigskins worth of ale and that’s what he got, by my reckoning three pigskins is 2.58 gallons and you can’t prove any different!”

The original ruling of the EU was to remove Imperial measurements, but they saw sense and realised that many people in the UK and Ireland don’t understand anything other than Imperial measurements. Equally, almost nobody in the rest of the economic union understands pints and pounds, so allowing people to use Imperial only makes no sense.

I agree. The optimal situation for a free market is perfect information about competing products, and a common standard for product information is an essential step towards that goal. This English lady appears to be some kind of Donna Quixote but generally speaking, total absence of labelling standards only benefits frauds. For example, food producers that list contents “per serving” for an undefined serving size…

Anti-bunny, ranting about a topic he didn’t bother to gain even a cursory understanding of, in order to stick it to those damn QT3 liberals. No one is surprised.

Hey now, he was polite about it and backed off when corrected. That’s better behavior that I can muster most times I’m shown to be wrong.

THOSE DAMN QT3 LIEBERALS!!! I will show them what for!