Nantucket-Whaling Sim

Those are pretty low resolution, for sure. You are having a hard time seeing that? The images on the Steam page are around 720p and they look very readable. Maybe use your phone and take an off-monitor pic of what the game looks like so we can see what issue you face?

is there a resolution for 1920 x 1200 ?

asking for a friend,

I assume these are 1:1 with your monitor resolutions?

Are impressions or opinions of gameplay as yet?

ACG gives it a buy:

I’ve been reading Moby Dick for the past 6 months… tempted…

My first captaincy lasted eight days. I took a mission to find the fate of a ship and my captain died fighting a war canoe. So yeah that was good for a laugh.

My best run lasted 3-4 years and I’ve not given up on going Ironman for those achievements. I don’t know what kind of legs this thing has. I’ve noticed that the whale hunting grounds don’t really move from game to game, so if you’ve got a good memory/recording of them you can go hunting when those are in season pretty reliably.

Tom Mc

Yes. My monitor died last week and I’ve been using an old one as backup, until my new gaming rig gets here, which should be next week. 1280x1024 is as high as it goes.

I enjoy it so far, but I do not know how long it will hold my interest. The combat is die-based and quick like a board game (this is a good thing), there’s risk and resource management leading to some interesting dilemmas (e.g., do I take less water to make room for more blubber and risk dying of thirst if the winds are unfavorable?), and it has a soundtrack comprised of sea shanties. There’s lots to like, but I am disappointed to hear that the map does not change much from game-to-game regarding the breeding grounds and such.

I am currently saving up my funds to buy a better ship. Early on, I travelled the world doing delivery and investigation (the “learn the fate of…” ones) quests, but I think it’s probably better to stay in one area and hunt whales in their breeding grounds and migration routes initially. I also learned that it is a bad idea to fight pirates when you are starting out, which I sort of suspected but wanted to find out for sure anyway (spoiler: I died).

There are a ton of games out there where this is already happening.

Are the whales just innocent creatures out minding their own business or are they evil Progeny-of-Moby-Dick whales? B/C I might find it sad to kill innocent creatures.

I mean, they fight back after you menacingly approach them in your whaling boat at their breeding ground. Which is to say they’re innocent creatures trying to live their lives until you show up and try to harpoon them. I get conflicted sometimes thinking about my actions when playing video games, so I mostly rationalize it by saying, “well, it’s just a game,” but I understand that that’s not always going to work for everyone.

RPS review by Adam Smith. Sounds intriguing, but maybe a bit too close to Sunless Sea for comfort.

Peg. Preferably ivory.

Aye, aye Cap’n.

It probably goes without saying, but getting a bigger ship with two whaling boats makes life so much easier. Having extra space for blubber and an extra action during combat (you get one action per whaling boat) is fantastic.

I’m tempted by this, if only because Moby Dick is my favorite novel of all time. I’ve presented papers on it at conferences (though by no means am I even close to being anything like a Melville scholar), assigned parts of it to classes, and in general reveled in it for years.

But I kinda like whales, too. Sticking them with harpoons doesn’t seem quite right. Maybe I could play to lose?

I may have some questions for you :/

Maybe we should make a Moby Dick thread? I read it years ago, and really, really liked it. I keep meaning to read other Melville.

On this thread, I’ve bought the game and am looking forward to playing, but I’m in the middle of a Thea game. I can’t remember why I stopped playing Thea, because it is really cool.