NASA/JPL QT3 Perseverance landing watch party (Zoom)

Curiosity landed in a similar way. There was the aerobraking, parachute, heat shield and backshell separation, powered descent, and skycrane maneuver. What Curiosity didn’t have was (1) the range trigger and (2) the terrain-relative navigation.

Another main difference in landing is in where each rover lands. Comparing the landing ellipses, which is where the rover is intended to land (within the ellipse), Curiosity’s was 20x20km (12x12mi) and Perseverance’s will be about 8x7km (5x4mi). Comparatively tiny. Curiosity was landing near rolling hills; Perseverance is landing right next to a big pointy crater that will eff you up if you touch it.

Curiosity landing ellipse
Revised Landing Target for Mars Rover Curiosity

Perseverance landing ellipse:

Pretty excited, the only bummer is this is right when school starts for my son. Would have been fun to watch with him.

I remember being profoundly relieved when Curiosity made its landing precisely because it seemed like a somewhat lunatic procedure full of potential failure points (not, mind you, that I have some better way to land a very heavy but fairly delicate piece of equipment on Mars!). Hope all goes well with Perseverence as well - I won’t be able to make the event (it overlaps a class I’m teaching) but it’s awesome that something like this is being organized.

So we know when the Zoom party starts. Do we know approximately when the landing is supposed to occur? I’ll put it on for my class to watch if I can get down to approximately 10 minutes. We can’t spend all afternoon waiting for it to happen.

The Perseverance Rover Landing Perseverance will touch down on Mars on Thursday, Feb. 18, 2021, at approximately 12:55 p.m. PST (3:55 p.m. EST).

Of course entry and descent will be prior to 12:55pm but it you want to fast forward to the end, that’s when.

I cried. Alone.

Relief is probably healthier.

Oh shoot, my students leave school at 3:25pm. Oh well. I suppose we could watch up till that point.

In. Like Flynn.

I’m definitely going to try and join! Bit confused about the EST though: I’m pretty sure the time difference between the US and Europe is more than 3 hours?

EST is Eastern Standard Time, ie NYC.

Wow, that explains it. Thanks!!!

Yup, to add to that the 3 hour time difference is between the west coast and east coasts of USA. It’s only just now 8am for me.

Hawaii and Alaska ever further offset. It’s 6am in aloha time. There’s a 5 hour difference between the east coast and GMT. And a 10 hour difference for our island fans.

Yeah, I just automatically assumed it was European Standard Time. Self-centred? Hell no! ;-)

Anyway, that would set the European Standard Time of the landing/Zoom party at around 7.15 PM. Not ideal, but not impossible either. I’ll see what I can do!

Sounds like a great opportunity for a sick-day. (It’s what mine will be doing during school, unless his class has a watch party.)

Hah, my first reaction was great idea. Then I started thinking how a sick day would evolve with the current covid situation.

I doubt with the seriously shortened and compressed school hours they will have a viewing party either =/

For those of you with kids, you may want to reach out to teachers with some resources.

The education office put together a Mars Challenge for the Perseverance rover landing. There are all sorts of resources and activities in the weeks preceding the landing, but you can also scroll down, click on Week 5, Click to Expand, and select the grade level (in my case, 6-8). There are 3 short videos and several lessons for inspiration, though I recognize it’s a little late to be replanning the week. The education office also published a Teachable Moment earlier this year which may be helpful.

Down in Key Dates there are 3 live video events:

On 2/16 at 11:30am JPL will hold a live discussion about the landing on YouTube for middle school students.

On 2/17 at 9:30am JPL will hold a live discussion about the landing on YouTube for elementary students.

On 2/18 at 9:30am (prior to landing coverage) JPL will hold a live discussion about the landing for all students.

In addition to the NASA/JPL feed of the landing, Discovery Education will be simulcasting the landing with a delay and no commentary. It may be free but you have to register. Don’t know why you would do that.

I’m a college professor so take this with a grain of salt, but I suspect K-12 teachers are ripping their hair out trying to fit what they can into the limited in-class time available and yeah, all the fun stuff inevitably has to be jettisoned when that happens. It sucks, but at the end of the day you’ve got to hit your core requirements or face serious trouble from on high.

That said I really wish I was teaching astronomy this semester because this would be a LOT of fun to cover.

Note that I updated this. There will be no commentary.

Some cool, short videos from that link:

And actually, the whole Mars in a Minute playlist is amazing, so check it out if you haven’t.