"natch"

What the hell does this word mean?

Every now and then I see people interject it into a sentence as though it’s cute or sly or some such thing. Instead it just makes them look stupid because the sentence always makes perfect sense without it, meaning it’s extraneous and the word serves about as much purpose as farting would at that point.

Also, the dictionary I just consulted tells me “natch” comes from Latin “natis” meaning rump so “natch” means “the rump of beef”. If you tell me that yes, using this word really does indicate a reference to cowbutt, ok, I guess I’ll believe you, but it for damn sure doesn’t make any more sense than the fart interpretation.

Natch is short for “naturally”, dig? Don’t be L7, Daddy-o.

Your dictionary is poor.

Agreed.

Agreed.[/quote]
Thirded.

Just preserving this for posterity.

Just preserving this for posterity.[/quote]

Wow, I guess I’m stupid. Well, I’m stupid, so how would I even know?

Don’t mean preserving it for posterior?

Wow, I guess I’m stupid. Well, I’m stupid, so how would I even know?[/quote]
Because much-smarter-than-you Rollory will stomp his foot and tell you, natch.

Whoops.

Wow, I guess I’m stupid. Well, I’m stupid, so how would I even know?[/quote]
Because much-smarter-than-you Rollory will stomp his foot and tell you, natch.

Whoops.[/quote]

Would that be the smarter-than-you guy who couldn’t find a proper fucking dictionary or (even worse) work out the meaning of the word by context (which is fairly easy in this case)?

This is occult knowledge all of a sudden? I learned this expression from a Garfield comic strip when I was five. Who is more foolish, the fool who uses “natch” or the fool who can’t figure out what “natch” means via context?

Also, the dictionary I just consulted tells me “natch” comes from Latin “natis” meaning rump so “natch” means “the rump of beef”. If you tell me that yes, using this word really does indicate a reference to cowbutt, ok, I guess I’ll believe you, but it for damn sure doesn’t make any more sense than the fart interpretation.

OKAY ALL YOU SMARTY PANTS. IF NATCH IS SHORT FOR NATURALLY, THEN WHAT IS THE CORRECT WORD FOR COWBUTT!!!

:)

Delicious.

I learned it from reading letters to the editor in Marvel comic books back in the early seventies. Stan Lee is my hero… Excelsior!

I learned this expression from a Garfield comic strip when I was five

That’s really funny. That’s the first place I remember seeing this expression, also.

I learned it from reading letters to the editor in Marvel comic books back in the early seventies. Stan Lee is my hero… Excelsior![/quote]

Me too, 'natch.

I learned it from reading letters to the editor in Marvel comic books back in the early seventies. Stan Lee is my hero… Excelsior![/quote]

Me too, 'natch.[/quote]

I think abbreviating it like that is part of what confuses people. Truncated words should be apostrophized at the end, to staunch the syllabic hemoraging, natch’.

Weird… me too…

It’s not a truncated word, though. Not really. If it were written “nat’” that would make sense, but natch is more a slang term derived from an existing word.

I vote no apostrophe.

Me too, 'natch.[/quote]

Is the ’ meant to be an “S” ? :?