Natural Point's TrackIR head tracking device?

Anyone here familiar with Natural Point’s “TrackIR”?

If so, what’d you think of it? I’m curious enough to perhaps get one, but I’m really keen to hear from someone who’s tried it first.

We got several when I was at Playnet… basically worked pretty well, though of course have to wear the hat to get it to work or perhaps have the pointer surgically grafted to your forehead. Execution-wise it worked pretty well and the resolution was pretty good. Of course if you’re in an office and snap your head around to talk to somebody you can disorient yourself a bit using it.

Didn’t use it myself though…

— Alan

Highly recommend it if you’re into flightsims. I started with TrackIR2 and once I got accustomed to it I was in seventh heaven. The level of immersion is just incredible and the value of being able to track a bandit in a dogfight without being straddled with just snap views is immesurable.

TrackIR3 Pro improves considerably on TrackIR2 with greater precision and the Vector Expansion which works marvelously in 3d pits in FS2004. Now you can stick your head outside of a taildragger to help you with taxing and takeoff. Even if a sim doesn’t have native support for the Vector Expansion it’s still a worthwhile investment because you don’t always have to recenter the device if you turn around to pick up the phone or if you have to prop yourself up for a ballsack adjustment.

It’s an awesome enhancement and a must-have for any fligh/racing simmer.

SimHQ posted this feature some time ago. Saw it linked in their GTR review since that one does support TrackIR as well.

-Julian

Agreed - I’ve got the original version and while I hear the new ones are better, they haven’t convinced me that it’s worth it to upgrade from my TIR1. I make extensive use of mine in flight sims, (FS2004, IL-2 when I can be bothered, Falcon 4 and it’s variants) and a couple of driving games (GTR, Richard Burns Rally).

As JMR says, the immersion factor goes through the roof with it - being able to just glance about, whether in the cockpit or outside is worth it’s weight in gold. I normally fly GA in FS2004 and it’s made a huge (positive) impact on my virtual flying.

Edit - just a comment on Alan’s post - The TIR is basically an infra-red device, and you need to wear some sort of reflector on your head (obviously) in order for the unit to detect your movements. There’s plenty of ways to do this, but mine is to attach the stick-on reflective dots to the end of my boom mic on my headset - unobtrusive and I’m ordinarily using the mic anyway.

I’ve got the original version and while I hear the new ones are better, they haven’t convinced me that it’s worth it to upgrade from my TIR1

This probably won’t change your mind but I thought the same thing when they came out with TrackIR 3 and the Vector Expansion. I really do think it’s worth $$$ especially for you since you still have the original TrackIR. When I had TrackIR 2 I thought to myself “how could they ever possibly improve on this?” but when TR3 hit the shelves with VE I was completely blown away by it. Aside from the new VE features, the tracking is much smoother and accurate than the TR2 I previously owned.

Agreed - I’ve got the original version and while I hear the new ones are better, they haven’t convinced me that it’s worth it to upgrade from my TIR1. I make extensive use of mine in flight sims, (FS2004, IL-2 when I can be bothered, Falcon 4 and it’s variants) and a couple of driving games (GTR, Richard Burns Rally).

As JMR says, the immersion factor goes through the roof with it - being able to just glance about, whether in the cockpit or outside is worth it’s weight in gold. I normally fly GA in FS2004 and it’s made a huge (positive) impact on my virtual flying.

Edit - just a comment on Alan’s post - The TIR is basically an infra-red device, and you need to wear some sort of reflector on your head (obviously) in order for the unit to detect your movements. There’s plenty of ways to do this, but mine is to attach the stick-on reflective dots to the end of my boom mic on my headset - unobtrusive and I’m ordinarily using the mic anyway.[/quote]

Oh that’s interesting I hadn’t even thought of that.

— Alan