NBA: so much for the 4-peat

Lakers are getting stomped by the Spurs right now. They’re about to go down 2 games to 0. I don’t think there will be any magical clutch 3-pointers by Robert Horry saving them this time. :(

There’s still a chance they can come out of this series, but it’s not looking good. Still, we’ll see.

So who wins it all this year? I’d guess the Kings…

I hope Lakers win against the spurs, then we can beat their asses! :)

Don’t tell me you’re still mad about Game 6 last year, when Kobe elbowed Bibby in the nose and the refs didn’t blink… :wink:

What’s worse is that they fouled Bibby! Geez, well at least a dedicated fan took it down a notch and defaced Shaq’s game ball a couple months back.

[size=2]Go Kings![/size]

Go [anyone other than the Lakers]!

My prediction: Spurs in five.

Then it’s Spurs-Kings for the NBA championship. :wink:

Kings in six, and a parade in Sactown after they play the Washington Generals of the Eastern Conference.

Go Spurs!!

Go Red Win… aw, fuck!

Go Pace… aw, fuck!

I think I’m best served by never rooting for any of my favorite teams ever again. What the hell’s going on with these playoffs?!

Kinda off topic…

Karl Malone will probably be traded next year. Whats the possibility of him going to the Lakers in a 3 way trade? He wants to play on a chapionship calibar team, and the Lakers could sure use a Power Forward.

Go Nets! :) (because Kidd needs to bring the Nets a championship before the Spurs buy him away and the Nets go back to being the worst team in the league) :(

I’m not sure that Malone will agree to go to the Lakers, since he wants to get the all-time scoring title away from Kareem. He’ll need to average twenty PPG over a few more years to do that, and I don’t think he’ll get the scoring opportunities in LA.

He may end up in New Orleans, his old stomping grounds.

Hah, right. Beware of what you wish for.

The Spurs are the only team that can beat the Lakers. With the Lake show’s already thin depth thinned further with the loss of Fox and George, it’s all over.

Oh, and Kobe being the usual selfish player that he is trying to score every time over Bruce Bowen because, thus far, he’s done a superb job keeping him in check. Pathetic. (Unless Bowen starts calling himself a “Kobe stopper,” in which case expect a 50-point game from Air Bryant.)

Hah, right. Beware of what you wish for.

The Spurs are the only team that can beat the Lakers. With the Lake show’s already thin depth thinned further with the loss of Fox and George, it’s all over.

Oh, and Kobe being the usual selfish player that he is trying to score every time over Bruce Bowen because, thus far, he’s done a superb job keeping him in check. Pathetic. (Unless Bowen starts calling himself a “Kobe stopper,” in which case expect a 50-point game from Air Bryant.)[/quote]

Bowen was on the Rome show today and he seemed like the most level headed NBA player I have heard in a while. Working on his degree while in the NBA (He took a final the morning of game 1 with the Lakers). He said the main thing he thought about every time he scored in Game 2 (27 points, 7 of 8 treys) was how fast he had to get back down the floor to guard Kobe. He didn’t sound like the type of guy who would go for the “Kobe Stopper” phrase.

-DavidCPA

Good. I hate the Lakers. I hate their whiney coach and the endless over-rating of the players on that team beyond Shaq and Kobe (who are, one must admit, very talented).

I don’t think the non-Shaq/Kobe players are bad at all. They’re good enough to back up the two stars to 3 championships in a row. Horry’s clutch 3 pointer last year (true, it was just one shot) is one of the most amazing things I’ve seen in sports. Derek Fisher played some inspired ball against the T’Wolves a couple games ago.

I’m not aware of the second-tier Lakers being overrated, beyond the claim that they are a good support team – which they are. Nobody I’ve heard asserts the Lakers would be winning without Shaq and Kobe.

I don’t understand Laker-hating, but then (besides being an Angeleno) I usually go on the bandwagon and prefer the reigning champions in a given sport. Whoever has the most titles, is who I want to win even more. That’s why Pete Sampras is my favorite tennis player, incidentally…

I’m still bummed the Blazers couldn’t close the deal after forcing a 7th game in a series where they had to come back from three games down.

But here’s hoping someone in the West can win the national title by taking out the Lakers.

I think you’ll find that most people consider the rest of Lakers thoroughly mediocre at best, and at worst pretty much useless. Can you give an example of someone who’s overrated?

I think you’ll find that most people consider the rest of Lakers thoroughly mediocre at best, and at worst pretty much useless. Can you give an example of someone who’s overrated?[/quote]

Horry. George. Fox. Horry wouldn’t start for most teams, and Fox is washed up.

How exactly are they overrated? Are they making all-star teams? Everyone knows those guys are role-players.

Oh, and “so much for the 4-peat”, eh? Lakers-Spurs are now 2-2, Webber’s out, and does anyone really think Dallas can beat anyone good?