NCAA Football 19

Lynn Swann “resigns” from his position. The last roadblock to firing Helton is gone now. Hopefully a move is made early enough to save the recruiting class.

Not unexpected, given that he probably would have been fired last year if USC had had a University President in place. The abruptness is a bit striking, however. Helton has done well to get 'SC to 2-0, but boy howdy will that seat get hot as soon as he loses a game.

FWIW, as much as the gossips at ESPN (and elsewhere) think Urban Meyer will be there this time next year, I’m not feeling it.

I don’t think so. Should be 0-3 after Saturday.

Yeah, what happened to the team that was playing so well at the end of last year?

Starting the season with most of our playmakers out for injuries and academics hasn’t helped, but still…

Not sure a pass rush is all the Bruins need…

Put here because Kansas is thrashing Boston College on the road. In football. A Friday the 13th full moon can be the only explanation.

It’s Kansas’ first road-win against a Power 5 school in 11 years.

They’re gonna build a statue of Les Miles.

I don’t know why anyone would’ve watched the UNC Wake Forest game at all, but we stumbled into the last minute of it. That was a terrible minute of football by UNC.

I know the ACC has been playing good, or at least much better, football in recent years but when I first went to Virginia for grad school back in '84 the team was so bad, only a handful of us would show up for games. The games were merely an excuse to party, because the scores were usually like 30-0 in favor of the other guys.

ACC’s incredibly top heavy this year (even more so than usual) with basically just 1 Top 25 team according to advanced stats but it’s the defending national champs Clemson at #2. Pretty crazy how much one team can basically carry the entire conference in CFB but I guess that’s how the leagues work

Actually, Clemson is #1 in every major poll. Except for ESPN’s power rankings, which has Alabama #1. But then that’s because ESPN is contractually obligated to fellatiate the SEC in general and Bama in particular.

Sure - that’s why I said stats, not polls. Although I’m not a fan of the SEC I do think Bill Connelly’s S&P+ Rankings are pretty good. It was an independent rating system until he got hired by ESPN earlier this year - I haven’t really seen much evidence that ESPN is forcing him to change his system and his ratings move a lot over the year based on new data so I think the SEC top-heaviness will give in over time. For example in 2017 his system rated OSU & Wisconsin #2 & #3

Don’t sleep on Ohio State. Of course they’ve only played cupcakes so far, but this squad has none of the weaknesses of the past few years, especially the defense.

How would you know based on who they have played?

It’s easy enough to tell just by comparing their performance against cupcakes in recent seasons. The defense would give up startling big plays. That led to the stunning upset by Iowa and the near upset by Maryland last year. This season they’re simply shutting everything down.

The ACC is Clemson and 13 complete jokes this year.

Until teams get out of their cupcake phase, its pointless to try to evaluate whats good about them. They simply are not playing against talent of a level that makes the evaluation meaningful. But it can expose weaknesses. On the other hand if weaknesses are not exposed, it doesn’t mean they don’t exist and won’t get exposed against a team with comparable talent. Michigan has been a prime example of this in recent years. This is, in part, why I believe they should not rank teams until the midway point of the season. Let them get a few conference games under their belt first, then rank them.

Welp, it’s week four and unless Utah comes back to beat USC the Pac-12 might have already played itself out of playoff contention. If Utah loses, it’s hard to see a path for them. Realistically, a one-loss Pac-12 champion probably ultimately needs at minimum two loses from three of the following: one of the top two SEC teams, Clemson, Oklahoma (or Texas should Texas win the Big XII), Ohio State (or Michigan or Penn State if either of them win the Big Ten), and Notre Dame. Maybe a one-loss Wisconsin gets consideration over the PAC too if that loss is in the Big Ten championship. That’s a lot to ask for, but more chaotic things have happened.

I should probably note that I like the Pac-12 and would prefer a world where a west-coast school gets into the tournament.

I don’t understand what happened to the PAC12. UCLA sucks, USC just isn’t consistent and probably needs a better coach, Wash St is at least competitive under Leach and Wash under Petersen needs more offense. The Arizona schools just can’t keep it up for a season, Colo sucks and Oregon State has just never been able to win the big one. Ore St sucks and Stanford is on a down year.

Did I miss anyone?