NCAA Football (Not the Video Game)

Blasphemer! Kill the Heretic!

Roll Damn Tide!

MACtion is no longer on the menu. What will we do on Wednesday nights now?

Not a surprise seeing as how most of their big money games with Power 5 opponents were already cancelled. They don’t have the luxury that those big money programs have. There simply is not enough money involved to be willing to risk those athletes health over.

I think what this is going to be coming down to is this: the NCAA either acknowledges that players are professionals in some manner and pays them/covers them…or it tries to continue maintaining the fiction and there’s no season.

Word is that they couldn’t afford the testing protocols, which gives one an idea of their financial straits.

Yep and without those big paydays they get for playing whipping boy to the Power 5 its far worse for them this year.

Who knows, maybe they’ll get better ratings with spring football since they’d be the only game in town.

I could see a scenario where Power Schools go to fall football, and I-AA goes to spring, with mid-majors going down to I-AA.

I think if the NCAA cancels fall sports, the SEC and perhaps ACC might revolt.

MACtion already got decent ratings. The reason? They filled in the football gap between MNF and Thursday Night Football. ESPN needed midweek programming, and MACtion needed money. Sure, the stadiums were empty on Tuesday night, but if they played on Saturday no one would watch on TV, not when there are dozens of Power5 games going on all day. But Tuesday and Wednesday night, MACtion is literally the only football game in town. The MAC saw what ESPN did for Louisville.

Looks like efforts to play college football in the fall are all but over.

B1G moving towards cancellation, working with commissioners of the other P5 conferences on a uniform announcement.

Yep, looking that way:

Several sources have indicated to ESPN that Big Ten presidents, following a meeting on Saturday, are ready to pull the plug on its fall sports season, and they wanted to gauge if commissioners and university presidents and chancellors from the other Power 5 conferences – the ACC, Big 12, Pac-12 and SEC – will fall in line with them.

Sources told ESPN that a vast majority of Big Ten presidents have indicated that they would vote to postpone football season, hopefully to the spring. A Big Ten official confirmed to ESPN that no official vote took place during Saturday’s meeting.

“It doesn’t look good,” one Power 5 athletic director said.

CFB twitter was a wild ride this evening.

Yep. It’s going to come down – I think anyway – to once again the big question: do you treat players in revenue college athletics as paid employees…or not?

I think the threat of unionization is going to get the season cancelled. I think the players are going to win this one in the end, because COVID isn’t going to be better this spring.

I think once the players win , the non-BCS schools drop to I-AA so they can not pay players.

I think there’s a 10-20% chance the NCAA breaks over this.

You know the world is pretty fucked up when even amateur sports is leveraging a worldwide pandemic for financial gain.

You mean that it’s fucked up the players are finally organizing after being financially exploited for decades?

That’s one hell of a way to phrase it.