Need a turn-based game while (stationary) bike riding

As for Culdcept, I love the premise and I played it for a while on the PS2, but the amount of randomness is hard for me to stomach. It has the randomness of monopoly dice rolls times the randomness of MtG hand drawing. I don’t feel like I have much control over what’s going on.

Sorry for being picky! Thanks for all the great suggestions.

There’s a lot to be said for “base building”, instead of maximizing heart rate. When I train on a bike, I spend a lot of time doing that. Essentially, it’s riding at about 60-70% of your max heart rate, instead of ~ 85%. You ride for very long periods of time, and get more and more efficient as you go, so you eventually are riding much faster at the perceived level of exertion. This is very boring stuff, because you aren’t riding super hard, but it’s very useful to do. You eventually start doing interval training, and doing lots of rides that are at very high heart rate, but you don’t solely train at max HR, at least not if you’re working on cardio.

I do all my riding outdoors, because I like to be distracted by the environment, and like to know that where ever I get to, I have to bike back home. It’s too easy to say “I feel tired” and step off a stationary bike.

That said, if I had a great game, it might encourage me to ride a stationary bike during the winter months when it’s 15F outside, and I just can’t force myself out there.

If your goal is to lose weight and tone up, it’s not necessary to spend an hour on the bike. Use the bike 20-30 minutes a day, at least 4 days a week. If you want to keep the weight off, do isometric exercises so your muscles are burning calories even while your body’s at rest. Eating healthier foods and keeping your metabolism up (eat more frequently using smaller portions; recommended 6 times a day) will amplify and accelerate the results.

So you’re suggesting Fallout 1 and 2?

lol no need to go extreme with the exercise, if a game keeps him motivated then that’s fantastic.

Ignoring the exercise advice, how about Puzzle Quest?