Need cheap powered speaker recommendation

I’m not an audiophile, I don’t really need anything fancy – I normally am perfectly happy with the built in speakers on my TVs. Really.

But my current TV, a Vizio 37", really has bad speakers – they’re incredibly muddy to the point that a lot of speech isn’t intelligible.

I’d like some inexpensive powered speakers. I don’t want a receiver or separate amps, I don’t need surround, I don’t need a subwoofer, just decent speakers that let me enjoy TV quietly. The Vizio has audio outputs (RCA) I can connect to.

The Audioengine 5 is the first I saw, but at $350 they’re still more than I want to spend. I’m hoping someone can recommend something excellent for dirt cheap – don’t let me down QT3!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009NWVUU ?

I guess the mackie 450’s would be overkill then, huh.

Those are pretty good speakers. But the PC version uses a single minijack. I believe there is a home audio version that uses left/right RCA (can’t find it on amazon, though).

edit: i guess you can just get a minijack to RCA splitter.

just use a red-white to mini plug adapter?

Ninja edit FTW!

There is the Audioengine 2 as well. I have a friend with those and he is fairly happy with them for setup for his wifes’ tv. This is a guy who has Quad Electrostatics in his main setup so he is an audiofool like myself :)

Probably would be fine enough for your purposes.

Thanks for the recs. The Klipsch doesn’t have RCA inputs, so I’ll probably pass on that. The Audioengine 2 is still $200, which is more than I want to spend. Even though I’m severely irritated with M-Audio because of the shitty design of their Firewire Solo (if you plug in the mains and 6-pin FW, you can brick it – and this isn’t labeled on the device itself, but at least they’re doing a warranty exchange), the M-Audio Studiophile DX4 looks like it might be perfect since it’s only $130 w/ Amazon Prime.