Need for Speed Payback - 2017, Ghost Games, EA

I agree. The only way I can figure out the speed is by glancing in the bottom right to see the number. All speeds feel about the same.

Damn. This game was sent out to die by EA. There’s been very little marketing for this. It’s all being spent on Battlefront 2. That’s probably the smart play, but damn. It must suck to have worked on this and see it whither at launch due to zero effort advertising.

Woof. REALLY bad review https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/11/need-for-speed-payback-cant-avoid-its-own-bankruptcy/

My son has been playing it. He’s a huge fan of the series. And while he is managing to find some fun (as he generally does) I think it’s more in spite of the game than because of it. He has pointed to major pacing problems (like little cutscenes that interrupt stuff) and progression issues (apparently, you have to work your way up to buying advanced parts with each car, so that cool new car you got is liable to suck until you go back and redo a bunch of races…that’s my understanding anyway). He also found a significant exploit (PS4): if you have a derelict selected that has all the parts required for assembly, then switch to a different chassis, you can assemble that chassis without the needed parts

Bottom line: he says he’d be wary going into Ghost’s next title, which he thinks is a sad state of affairs.

But it’s got loot crates, so it’s not a total loss for EA. Strategy preserved!

Box quote!

“…this game is a dickhead” - RPS

My favorite racing games are the Criterion ones. More of those please!

Loot box and progression changes.

I see this one is going for $6 on the Xbox store now, and I’m guessing from this thread that it may not even be worth that?

In a world where the Forza Horizon games never existed, maybe. Pay the extra for FH 3, or 4.

Oh I already got those. Just curious about this one.

I’d recommend it only if you have already paid for EA Access and would have no additional cost involved in giving it a try.

Looks like something is coming this year.

https://www.ea.com/en-gb/games/need-for-speed/onetime-37-qrx

Spoiler alert: It’s just a countdown that ends in 2 days.

They’ve had so many crap enteries in a row, it’s hard for me to gather any excitement for a new NFS game.

I’ll be a lot more interested if it’s a Criterion-developed entry, I will say that much.

I didn’t know Criterion was still around. I just checked their website, looks like after the second NFS: Most Wanted, they worked on Star Wars Battlefront 2 (the new one), a VR Battlefront 2 game, and Burnout Paradise Remastered. So they haven’t released a game in a while. It certainly could be them.

Is it just going to be a phone game?

“Hello? Why yes, I do love to race! Oh and you do too? How wonderful! OK bye!!”

Criterion is a really small support studio these days. Most of the car game people transferred to Ghost Games who helm the NFS franchise now.

All the Ghost NFS games have been terrible misfires.

I thought Rivals was great, but the rest have been stinkers.