Need good handheld game for trip

In a few weeks I’m going to be heading to las vegas to visit some family for spring break. Problem is that the plane ride is 5 hours each way, and I have enough problems with leg pains sitting in a plane for 2. I need some good nintendo ds or gba suggestions to help take my mind off of it for the time. I was looking at the Final Fantasy dawn of souls and the new one that just came out, any more suggestions would be good.

I already have advance wars, meteos, mario 64x4 for the ds.

If you at all like strategy games (and I’m assuming you do since you have Advance Wars DS) then you should buy the new Age of Empires for the DS. I’ve played a couple of hours and so far it’s fantastic.

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow will help.

The castlevania 2 pack that just came out friggin rocks.

Yeah, there you go. But if you get that, be aware that Aria is a zillion times better than Harmony, even though Harmony is still really good. So you might want to start with Harmony so you can build up to Aria, or you might want to start with Aria so you don’t risk burning out on Castlevania and not getting to the second game.

Actually I already played aria or sorrow, and have dawn of sorrow for the ds, I never played harmony though. So how is age of empires ds compared to the pc versions?

Well, Age DS isn’t real time, for starters.

What kinds of games do you like, pfreak? If you narrow down the genre you want, it might help. Otherwise, folks are just going to start listing their favorite DS games. So in the interest of contributing, here are the things I would bring along for a 5-hour plane ride:

Kirby DS. Yeah, you heard me. Kirby. The pink smiley balloon dude. It’s the best platformer on the DS and easy one of the best platformers I’ve ever played. That’s right, it’s a happy pink colorful Nintendo thing. I’ll say it again. Kirby DS. Or “Kirby Canvas Curse” to be more accurate.

If you’re into Sims on handhelds – a lot of folks aren’t – the Sims 2 DS is easily the best portable version of that series. I’ve played them on all the platforms, including the Nokia, and none of the other Sims come close to the DS version.

Age of Empires DS is the best strategy game on that platform. However, Battles of Prince of Persia is a much deeper game, and has a longer-term collectible card game element. I think they’re both better than Advance Wars, which is certainly good, but ultimately a bit too glib for my taste.

-Tom

P.S. Remember that you have to come back, tell us what you picked, and whether you liked it! Don’t leave us hanging, man!

Alright, well for the ds I’ll try anything,

I own the games I listed above for the ds, but I did play Kirby ,warioware. I like rpgs sometimes but the last Final Fantasy game that I played somewhat thru was 8. I like strategy games, but so far haven’t beaten any of the advance wars games yet.

Besides the card aspect of prince, how is it deeper then age? Also would either of them be able to hold me over for the plane rides?

Tales of Symphonia is coming out for GBA in a couple weeks, that might be worth it if it’s out by the time you leave.

Age of Empires DS is the best strategy game on that platform. However, Battles of Prince of Persia is a much deeper game, and has a longer-term collectible card game element. I think they’re both better than Advance Wars, which is certainly good, but ultimately a bit too glib for my taste.

I really need to get both of those.

There are more tactical options in terms of facing, terrain, charging, buffs, debuffs, area effects, and spell attacks. There are more unit types with more factors in terms of how they interact. The deck building gives the game more persistence as compared to the units you can unlock in Age, which have a minimal effect on the game. The different races in Prince of Persia are much more varied than the races in Age of Empires. There are more ways to set up games in Prince of Persia.

They’re both very good, but Battles of Prince of Persia is more detailed, for better and for worse.

And, yes, they’d easily tide you over for a 5-hour plane ride.

-Tom

Well I’ve been reading around, so far it seems that PoP is getting the lower scores compared to Aoe, also why would it cost $40 compared to $30 for aoe? I got 2 weeks to decide, are there any more good long ds or gba titles coming out in between?

There are a bunch of great GBA games that are out. Fire Emblem, Zelda and Mario and Luigi are all good choices if you don’t have any of them.

I think you mean Phantasia. Symphonia is the GC one. And it’s coming out around 3/8.

Because ubisoft and activision overcharge for their DS games. $20 - $25 is my sweet spot for portable games. $40 is too close to a full price console release, and I’m none too crazy about that price point, either.

Dammit, I even double-checked my memory on that one. I can never keep them straight. Thanks :/.