Need to Learn Conversational Spanish

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking about in my original post. I’d like to find some word games in spanish, but no luck so far. And I don’t know if it matters, but the chick is Venezuelan, so I don’t know if her Spanish is as different from Spain’s as Quebec’s french is from France’s. Not that it matter to me much.

The main difference in varieties of Spanish is between Spain’s and everyone else’s. (Vosotros, lisping c.) The dissimilarities among Latin American countries are mostly matters of a handful of unique idioms and words with varied meanings or connotations depending on where you use them. (And, of course, the places where they speak Portuguese.)

Learning Spanish in America will probably involve a focus on Mexican Spanish, whether you purchase tapes, attend classes, or interact with native speakers. Given your Florida location, Cuban Spanish is also a likely baseline. But both of these should be fairly similar to the Spanish they speak in Venezuela.

Tell her to tell Hugo Chavez I said hi.

Edit: Meeting this woman is the best thing that could happen to your chances of learning Spanish. I’ve tried to learn Spanish off and on for a long time now, but my efforts have borne little fruit, and I fear that at least part of the problem must be the difficulty I have putting my heart into anything.

I have the Pimsleur for Japanese. Must have heard the first few lessons dozens of times. Good enough to travel in Japan along with lots of gesticulating.

What’s amusing is Pimsleur seems to follow the formula of American meets young native woman and wants to chat her up. It was like this for the Pimsleur Mandarin tapes too.

Most Spanish people are pretty friendly and will be delighted you’re making the effort, unlike say, certain frog eaters.

Cuban spanish is Caribbean/Antillean Spanish similar to Dominican and to some extent, Puerto Rican “Spanish” (please no flames)

With the internet you can now watch a lot of foreign TV with subtitles. It lets you see cute things like gas pumps that float above your car (Korea and Japan).

Rosetta Stone works great, but it’s spendy.

I am interested in learning conversational Spanish myself. My kids are in spanish immersion elementary school. Sometimes they burst into Spanish arguments in the backseat of the car. Other times I am sure they are plotting agaisnt me in coversational tones. More and more I feel like the American chauffeur.

Actually it’s a pretty good deal. They don’t have English introduced to the class untill like the 3rd grade and then it’s only an hour a day. Otherwise it’s all Spanish. The class size is relatively small and they stay with the same people through high school. Their grades drop a little in early English, but this is supposed to even itself out as they progress. It’s all public school, which still seems amazing to me.

Ahhh, shades of NIP/Tuck first episode!

Does it matter? you lucky guy you, she’s Venezuelan, only home of some of the most beautiful woman in latin america, and that is saying a LOT. Really, Latin American spanish is pretty much the same all across the continent. As someone said, Spaniard’s spanish is very different. Not “I don’t get it” different though.

Ditto. Hey Mr. Mcgriddle sorry I just now saw the header to your post. Were you born in Honduras and then moved to the states? and what are the chances, huh? (now that I think about it, pretty high: we have almost a 10% of our population living in the states now).

Actually that worked for me as well, watching lots of cable TV with subtitles for the hearing impaired ON. Oh, and the music. And the movies. And the games. And the books. Wow… I just realized we ARE fully inmersed in english even when there are no english speaking people around…

I have the Pimsleur Eastern Arabic course, and it also starts with something like “I beg your pardon, I’m an American, are you a Syrian woman? how about a drink at my hotel?”. Risky bussiness :)

A summer month in my hometown would have you talking, in fact teaching Spanish to foreigners has become the biggest local industry.

You should visit Quarter To Three every day through Google’s language translation filter. You’ll pick it up in no time.

Start going to a Spanish study group over lunch. Twice a week or more. Check craigslist for lunch groups seeking participants.