Need to replace smaller M.2 SSD Win boot drive with a bigger M.2

Out of interest, why aren’t you using the other M.2 slot on the motherboard, instead of an expansion card?

I am :)

I have just run low on space on everything. When I got my second M.2 NVMe, this time being 1 TB instead of 500 Gig, I was like, “Great! I will never run out of space now with high-speed storage!”. Then several VR games, mods, campaigns, and map updates for various flight sims later, I see I’m down to 30 Gig and I still have a bunch of stuff I want to get. Can’t believe how fast all that space disappears.

Hmmm ever since I did this, I’m not getting a hum/wheeze out of my speakers AND VR headset from on-board sound. It’s super annoying and I’m not sure why it suddenly happened. I hear it even when my sound control is muted.

That’s awfully annoying; sounds like the audio is picking up some interference. If you use a sound card, you might to try onboard audio just to see if it holds up to narrow down the issue.

@Dan_Theman @Profanicus @mono @Ginger_Yellow @lordkosc

Wanted to say thanks to all of you. I got the Asus PCIx16 slot device and when slotted in PCIx 2 slot it did indeed cut my Graphic card from 16x down to 8x. So I swapped out the old SSD add-on card that took the same kind of slot, and switched it for a PCI.1x slot and moved the Asus card to slot 3. This brought my video back up to 16x and I tested the older SSD’s now on the legacy 1x slot and they only lost 15% in speed. Since these were old SSD’s I didn’t really care since all my fast SSD’s are on the mainboard.

So now I have 3 full speed M.2 NVMse drives all working properly in my computer. Yea!

Noice. Congrats JP. Now… to gaming!

Awesome!!!

Arise!

I have a M.2 Nvme 1TB drive as my storage on my gaming PC. Because my wife’s PC died, and had the exact same drive, I decided why not format it and stick it in my machine for another TB? Well, I don’t seem to be able to. I have a second M.2 header but when I install the drive the machine tries to boot from it, and of course it cannot, given that it is, well, blank. But in BIOS both drives have exactly the same nomenclature, and switching boot order does zilch. As long as that other drive is in the machine, it will not boot.

Interestingly, the first time I tried this I had not formatted the drive, and the machine booted from the new drive, into my wife’s old Windows setup. For some reason the installation of this second drive makes the machine totally forget the first one is there or something. Removing it allows the machine to boot normally from the original drive, but I would love to have the extra storage.

Any ideas?

You might try booting from a windows install usb drive, erase the new ssd, and format it. Then restart after taking out the install usb and see if it assigns the newly formatted drive a new drive id.

In your boot order, do you have the BIOS assigned to look for the next boot drive if the first in the order doesn’t work? If so, assign one as the only boot drive, with no secondary. Then swap if it’s messed up. The other thing you can do is physically swap the M.2 drives and see if your machine likes that.

My problem is both drives show up as exactly the same designation. I mean, no difference; I cannot tell which is which when in the BIOS.

Like CJ said, boot from a flash drive and format it. The easy way to tell you’re formatting the correct one? Physically remove the working M.2 from the computer.

Just a warning win10 doesn’t have nvme drivers so it’s like the Sata drivers floppy needed for setup all over again.

I was able to delete partitions but suddenly it complained it couldn’t read the drive to create partitions. Windows 11 setup didn’t have the same problem.

I don’t want to format it, it’s already formatted. I put it in a USB-C enclosure, plugged it in to the machine, formatted it (regular, not quick), so it’s totally wiped, and then put it in my PC. As soon as it was in though the machine defaulted to trying to boot from this blank drive.

It looks like the physical location of the second M.2 drive if filled becomes the hard-coded boot priority or something. If anything is in that second slot, the machine won’t recognize or see the first M.2 drive. It is only seeing one that is installed on the mobo. Running the other from the enclosure works fine though.

Probably some weird ass SATA/Nvme thing or something, I dunno. Not going to worry about it. Will wait until I get a new machine maybe, but I really would not mind having that extra TB.

Why not physically swap the two M.2 drive locations?

Suppose I could, but the boot drive has a futzy heat shield, etc. and the secondary slot is bare; I’m not sure I want to start disassembling stuff on the mobo without actually knowing what is going on. I think I better read the mobo docs again or something. It may be that this older AMD chipset (470 I think?) doesn’t support two of these specific M.2 drives or something.