Neighbor etiquette

Are you required by the Tommark entity or something to post in every single thread?

No, that’s Jason.

Every time one of his dogs gets run over from his neglect, you get to run him over with your car.

Shoot his dogs with BB pellets whenever they get onto the road. They’ll learn soon enough not to do it anymore.

my dad used to do that to the neighbor’s dog. he also used to shoot the bumblebees in our carport with a BB pistol. this ended the day he shot out the big side window of his Bronco II. i’m hoping it was a ricochet, but i never asked.

Would it bother you? 'Cause if it does, I’ll do it! :lol: (I’m just friendly that way.)

I haven’t personally confronted him about the dogs getting in my yard (which is a good idea) but the lady next door to me has…repeatedly. He doesn’t care, so I didn’t see the point in saying anything myself. I can tell from some of the answers that a few of you have never had really rural neighbors :). I still appreciate all the responses, but those who have said that some rednecks just won’t care what I say or do are pretty much right. I’d just have an ignorant redneck mad at me…one who knows where I live!

It’s funny (and possibly paranoid) but I am always afraid that if I confront someone that knows where I live he might be crazy enough to burn my house down or something. I know most people wouldn’t, but it only takes one!

I guess I do mainly want to vent. I’ll look into some sort of animal treatment organization, but I doubt they can do anything. There is nothing illegal about it. However, my wife did get them to take care of a problem down the road where a guy had his dog chained to a post without any shelter at all (no dog house…nothing). So it was stuck out in the rain, heat, whatever all day long. They took care of that, so I guess it might be worth a shot. I think it would be fairly anonymous.

Oh, interesting side story. I recently sold my car to another neighbor, whom I didn’t know at the time. Anyway, he had driven by this same house and one of the guy’s kids was playing out right next to the road. The kid was like 3 and there was no nearby supervision. This guy (who is about 6’3, black, and muscular) got out and let my closer neighbor know how wrong that was. Also, I forgot to mention that this house is just over a blind hill, so anyone driving fast through there really doesn’t have time to see anything.

Take out extra fire insurance then go and give your neighbor an ultimatum. When he burns down the house, use the insurance money to move to a better neighborhood. :)

I’ve lived in TN, and always found “waving a gun around in someone’s face” to be effective, at least in starting a conversation.

Oh, I’ve lived next to people like that, Robert. There’s just nothing you can do to stop them from being stupid.

That deserves a hearty LOL.

Yeah. It’s about as hard as getting someone to actually do something about a situation themselves instead of just blabbering on a messageboard about how something that is not them is at great risk for being injured or killed. I can totally sympathize.

I guess I do mainly want to vent. I’ll look into some sort of animal treatment organization, but I doubt they can do anything. There is nothing illegal about it. However, my wife did get them to take care of a problem down the road where a guy had his dog chained to a post without any shelter at all (no dog house…nothing). So it was stuck out in the rain, heat, whatever all day long. They took care of that, so I guess it might be worth a shot. I think it would be fairly anonymous.

Look, you’ve got options A through D which you’ve given no indication of having tried. Try those or shut up. No one really needs to hear you verbally shrug and turn a blind eye.

I for one, would love to hear more complaining… especially if it makes Jon R. say something mean again.

I’m game. Someone could even try the whole “it’s not ‘just’ a dog” line while subtly implying that to you, ehhh, it kind of is. I’ll take it from there.

Hey Robert, I lived in east Tennessee (in the Johnson City area) from about 1982 to 1999, so I have had lots and lots of rural neighbors, and I can tell you earnestly, they were some of the nicest neighbors I’ve ever had. I was in college for part of that time, so I probably lived in 7 or 8 different places while there. Thus, I think my experience is probably a bit more than anecdotal. I will relent on people letting dogs run free, that’s just a rural thing for the most part. Of course you mentioned having a road right up next the the person’s house, so that’s a different situation and the person should consider keeping his animals off the road and off of other people’s lawns if they desire it. I rarely cared if people’s dogs got in my yard… it’s free fertilizer. :wink:

Good point, Shadari. I’ve had rural neighbors who are great people too. In fact, when I first moved into this area, most of the people were really nice. Unfortunately, many of them moved out and were replaced by people who could care less what other people think.

And Jon, why do you even read the topics in this section? They all seem to bother you.

You know the ones where people don’t ask what to do in a case of animal neglect as a poorly veiled attempt to gain “Welp, you did what you could, son. Time to pack it in and call it a day” support to justify the lackadasical effort you’re apparently making? Those topics are fine. I like those.

Hey Bob, that’s OK. Those dogs are bound to get crushed under the wheel of a several hundred pound vehicle anyway, so rest easy. If they get their neck or head crushed, it’ll be quick. A dog’s ribcage is surprisingly brittle, so that’s a clean option too, save for maybe a heartrending yelp. The last 3rd gets it? No problemo, Robert. You can probably just get this lovely owner to shoot it if that happens. What really matters is that you can take the terrible load of being in no mortal danger of your own off your mind by “venting” with no appreciable results. I had originally assumed that you made the topic based off of concern for the animals, but hey. I can’t be right all the time. Take those lemons and make lemonade, right?

wow, you’re like a less entertaining version of wumpus’s ugly side!

Wow, Jon, you are truly impressive. Obviously, this is a case of me pretending to care about these dogs while not really doing so. I mean, if I REALLY cared about them, I would risk anything to see that they were safe. I would steal them and risk getting arrested, or attack the owner and risk getting killed. For the record, as I said above, people have already asked the guy to keep his dogs under control. In fact, one even offered to take the dogs if he didn’t want them. So what exactly is the point of my asking again? I have chased them out of the road and that didn’t help. I can’t prove neglect to the authorities, since apparently that requires clearcut abuse, and this doesn’t count.

So I was looking for OTHER suggestions, hoping I might have missed something. Apparently, I hadn’t.