Neil Simon has passed at age 91

I would think that Neil’s influence will be greatly recognized as time goes by. I see a lot of it in (maybe surprisingly) Apatow’s work.

Read a couple of his scripts for classes in high school and college. They were always terrific, from a craftsmanship standpoint, and full of heart as much as humor.

(I wasn’t sure whether this should go into movies or another thread, since we don’t have a Broadway/Hollywood hybrid thread. :))

Or crossover to a book thread! And Television? Man…A prolific genius who will be missed. Your news has made me sad today, Triggercut. That man made me laugh so many times, its literally innumerable.

I’ll name the first three works that just impacted me, that pop into my mind. There could be, what 25?

https://www.ibdb.com/broadway-production/barefoot-in-the-park-398479

Part of the legendary cast of writers who wrote for Sid Caesar – Mel Brooks, Carl Reiner, Larry Gelbart, Woody Allen, and more.

I thought Biloxi Blues was great.

I think my parents had just gotten cable TV, and I was like 15 and had only within the last 2 years discovered that girls were kind of amazing.

But still. “Goodbye Girl” was a grownup movie (and one without any sex or nudity, no violence, and barely any cussing) and it was a movie about girly stuff.

One day I was sick from school, and it was on, and I ended up watching it. And I liked it (even if it’d take a while for me to admit that). And then I ended up discovering that Simon was the brains behind The Odd Couple, etc.

Sad that he’s passed, but what a tremendous body of work.

Genius.

Oscar Madison: I got, uh, brown sandwiches and, uh, green sandwiches. Which one do you want?

Murray: What’s the green?

Oscar Madison: It’s either very new cheese or very old meat.

Murray: I’ll take the brown.