Neo Nazis and the Alt Right

3.5 stars in Canada. I guess we have a lot less Nazis… that is comforting to me!

Gorka’s a member of the Vitézi Rend, which “are presumed to be inadmissible” to the US under the Immigration and Nationality Act.

It would be so amazing if Gorka was an illegal immigrant.

Well, she’s also incredibly unfunny (a matter of opinion, obviously) and tends to steal her material from other comedians. So I don’t think they’re the only reason she’s got a low rating, although there’s obviously brigading going on.

Allegedly.

I think that her show is really funny, but I don’t know if I liker her stand up style quite as much.

The Immigration and Nationality Act may not apply to Gorka after all. The wording in it is pretty specific about participation in persecution between 1933-03-23 and 1945-05-08.

WHY DO WE STILL HAVE NAZIS
WHERE DO THESE PEOPLE COME FROM

All right don’t mind me, just going to go hyperventilate into this bag.

Her show is hilarious (one highlight was the 12 Angry Men sendup where the jury was trying to decide whether “Amy Schumer is hot enough to be on television”). What’s this new standup thing called? I enjoyed the one from a few years ago called Mostly Sex Stuff.

I like that the argument hinged on Natalie from the Facts of Life.

Good question. Over the years, though, I’ve noticed that there always have been folks who were attracted to various aspects of the Nazi “experience.” Some were attracted by the, no joke, aesthetics, the look of power and authority that they felt the uniforms, architecture, and other trappings of the Third Reich presented. Some were attracted, during the Cold War, by a virulent if rather warped anti-Communism, that overlooked everything about the Nazis other than their opposition to the USSR. Still others truly embraced the idea of a northern European racial identity, and sympathized with the Nazi racial ideology. And of course there were those who protested that they weren’t interested in the “politics,” but just were interested in the military prowess of the SS and the like.

All of these folks, though, had in common a fondness for authoritarian philosophies and a belief in the power of violence in some way. All were seduced too by the vision of clear choices between us and them, good and bad, that they (quite mistakenly and contrary to historical evidence) attributed to the purity of the Naxi vision, which they in turn saw as cutting through the wishy-washy compromises of liberal democracy. In other words, all of these folks were, at some core level, traditional fascists after Mussolini and his ilk. Or at least they were sympathetic to fascism’s core beliefs.

It’s just that now they can come out of the woodwork and openly say this stuff and not get ostracized. Yay progress…

Yeah you used to have to hide your Nazi crap in the back room or a basement. Now you can fly a swastika flag on your porch. MAGA

The reason why we have Nazis is because people no longer beat the shit out of them like they used to.

Yeah, the Nazi design aesthetic is fantastically diabolical. From the buttons to the flags, everything was built to terrorize.

“Are we the baddies?”

Depended on what culture you were immersed in, I guess. Down south, these types were fairly well tolerated, more so than, say, someone who was openly non-heterosexual.

Not back in the 40’s and 50’s though. Back when WWII was still fresh in folks’ minds, Nazi’s got their assess beat when they showed their faces.

Oh, well, I’m not that old, so I’ll take your word for it, geezer!

I mean, to some extent I always fell into that category.

Just like people like the Empire in Star Wars because they had the coolest toys and uniforms. But when it comes to actual ideology, that’s a whole different ball of wax.

Tiger tanks and Me262’s will always be pretty badass, but concentration camps and executions in the street will never be remotely cool.

It’s the ability to separate the two things that is lacking in some minds, I fear.

Even Tiger Tanks proved to be a mistake, didn’t they? They were so complicated to repair and keep operational that they could only field 1 for every 3 or 4 (or more?) cheap Allied tanks.