Neo Nazis and the Alt Right

Hammer or flashlight, and whether or not he was defending against a flag assault or hitting someone while they were wrestling someone else over the flag, I guess those are questions a judge/jury will need to look at.

And yeah, I agree it’s terrible optics, but I suppose the law doesn’t really care about optics. I very much think some of those Nazis that were shown beating him when he was down need to be arrested too.

Sincere apologies in advance for the Facebook link but couldn’t find it anywhere else:

The Charlottesville Police just told me that they did NOT issue an arrest warrant for DeAndre Harris. What happened is very nefarious.

A white supremacist who was injured in a fight with people other than DeAndre Harris tried to get police to arrest DeAndre. They declined.

So the white supremacist found a judge he knows, who did something one officer told me he had never seen before…

The white supremacist got a random local magistrate, who never conducted an investigation, to issue a bogus arrest warrant for DeAndre Harris.

In the meantime, the main men who assaulted him have yet to be charged.

Not The Onion.

When Hurricane Irma was bearing down on Florida last month, Gov. Rick Scott declared a state of emergency. On Monday, he did the same thing in Alachua County, ahead of a speech by white nationalist Richard Spencer at the University of Florida in Gainesville.

“We live in a country where everyone has the right to voice their opinion, however, we have zero tolerance for violence and public safety is always our number one priority,” Scott said in a statement. “This executive order is an additional step to ensure that the University of Florida and the entire community is prepared so everyone can stay safe.”

“I find that the threat of a potential emergency is imminent,” Scott declared in his executive order, noting that Alachua County Sheriff Sadie Darnell had requested the state’s assistance. The order will make it easier for various agencies to coordinate a security plan for Thursday’s speech at the university.

It sounds crazy, and funny, but it’s actually pretty smart. Be declaring a state of emergency in the county where UofF is located, he makes it far easier for the county sheriff, UofF police, fire and emergency services, and a bunch of other agencies to request additional personnel, approve overtime and essentially clear the administrative path for an all-hands-on-deck turnout, thereby effectively squashing any chance things could escalate to Charlottesville or even UC Berkeley levels.

Mr Wilshaw admits that being a Nazi who is gay – but with a Jewish background – is a contradiction.

“It’s a terribly selfish thing to say but it’s true, I saw people being abused, shouted at, spat at in the street – it’s not until it’s directed at you that you suddenly realise that what you’re doing is wrong.”

“You have other members leading National Front who are overtly gay. And nobody could see the contradiction of it that you have an overtly gay person leading a homophobic organisation, makes no sense.”

“Then you have someone like Nicky Crane, one of the hardest people who would be gay.”

Even when people found out, they’d rationalise it, ‘He’s not really gay’ or ‘gay and ok’.

If only we could give the whole world empathy somehow.

My sister and I diverge pretty strongly on this issue. She wants to give individuals like this credit because she says if we can’t allow people to have a change of heart, to change their heart, we don’t have much of a future. People need to be able to make better decisions even after they’ve made poor ones.

My position, if we have to wait around for people to experience what other people are going through before they can even consider what it might be like to be in their shoes, I say we’re already screwed. I can’t imagine having to have people I know, people I care about, in a country I live in, rounded up in gas chambers by the millions before I acknowledge how horrible that is. I don’t need to be told what it would be like to think you’re say a USA citizen all your life and only finding out when you’re 18 and trying to Financial Aid and jobs that you’re not.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-18/facebook-and-google-helped-anti-refugee-campaign-in-swing-states

So they “worked closely” in the sense that every radio and television trying to sell political ads worked closely with moneyed political interests?

Of course Facebook and Google are in the ad business. That’s where all the money comes from since they give away their services to consumers for free in most cases. Of course anyone in the ad business is going to work with customers to target ads as tightly as possible so the customers can target their desired audience. That’s just ad business 101.

I’m all for bashing Facebook because there’s a trillion valid reasons to do so, but this feels like a pile-on piece that’s as devoid of critical thinking as the Facebook behavior it purports to expose.

^^And that’s not the Onion.
Great response to Spencer’s speech in FL:

When it starts with “Here at Alligator” I thought it was just going to be a joke about Florida since it’s right next to a map of the state. Just a joke about calling it Alligator because that’s all we’re known for, lol.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/state/florida/article178895986.html

University of Florida students hoping to empty the auditorium for white nationalist Richard Spencer’s speech and get free beer in the process are out of luck.

Gainesville brewer Alligator Brewing offered a popular deal to its patrons on Thursday: give it two tickets to the so-called “alt-right” leader’s speech at the University of Florida next week and it will give you a free draft beer.

“We unfortunately can’t stop him from bringing his hate to Gainesville,” the message on Facebook read. “But we can empty the room so his disgusting message goes unheard.”

The only problem with the much-lauded plan? Spencer knows about it.

So when Richard Spencer became aware of Alligator Brewing’s plan to grab up all the event tickets using free beer, he and his Nazi cronies decided to hold onto all the tickets themselves. Then Spencer goon Cameron Padgett shows up at another local establishment, Tall Paul’s and tries to claim a free beer with one of the event tickets. Naturally they decline because, well, the Nazis hadn’t given out any tickets yet so how could his be legit? So they asked him to leave and he raised a fuss on Twitter.

A white nationalist has been given full control over which journalists will be permitted to cover his “freedom of speech” event at the University of Florida on Thursday, a university spokeswoman said, a situation one expert called “ironic”.

“They’ve rented the facility. It’s their event. It’s not our event,” university spokeswoman Janine Sikes said on Wednesday. “It’s their event, so that’s why they can have whomever they want.”
[…]
Calvert went on: “It is a rather ironic situation. Here’s a individual who gets to speak because of the first amendment, but he also gets to exclude members of the press based upon his whim, who are also protected by the first amendment.”

“It’s a hard thing to wrap your head around,” said Frank LoMonte, the director of the university’s Joseph L Brechner Center for Freedom of Information. “I can only imagine that the goal is not to entangle the university in the management of the event.

No it isn’t, it’s called hypocrisy.

Tenner says Spencer will be the new Nazis movements first martyr. Twenty says I’ll laugh when i see the news.