Neo Nazis and the Alt Right

Yeah, one of my favorites. Kind of bummed I wasn’t able to go see it on the big screen in the theaters last weekend - it was the TCM movie revival.

And? What’s your point? McCarthyism was dumb. How does any of that tie into modern Americans not coddling Nazis?

No. McCarthyism was evil.

What it has to do with the discussion is that the way to change a Nazi is through love, not hate, using MLK Jr’s life and beliefs as an example. Especially if that Nazi is (was) a friend.

Or at least, that’s the point I’m trying to argue.

Oh man. For a second, I thought there was going to be a point to this, but you drove right off a cliff again. Whew!

So you think cutting off a friend, which in all likelihood would drive them even further into the arms of the nazis is the way to bring about the goal of less nazis in the world?

From the original article which started this fascinating discussion, one of the click-throughs::

Daryl Davis is a blues musician, but he also has what some might call an interesting hobby. For the past 30 years, Davis, a black man, has spent time befriending members of the Ku Klux Klan.

He says once the friendship blossoms, the Klansmen realize that their hate may be misguided. Since Davis started talking with these members, he says 200 Klansmen have given up their robes. When that happens, Davis collects the robes and keeps them in his home as a reminder of the dent he has made in racism by simply sitting down and having dinner with people…

…That began to chip away at their ideology because when two enemies are talking, they’re not fighting. It’s when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. If you spend five minutes with your worst enemy — it doesn’t have to be about race, it could be about anything…you will find that you both have something in common. As you build upon those commonalities, you’re forming a relationship and as you build about that relationship, you’re forming a friendship. That’s what would happen. I didn’t convert anybody. They saw the light and converted themselves.

Look, the friend in this case isn’t just flirting with neo-Nazism, he has a swasttika tattoo and helps run a neo-Nazi website, there’s no further for them to go at this point.

LOLOL

I can’t reject a friendship! Who am I to judge?

I think we draw lines which are greater than the individual, and if you cross them, you are ostracized and society is not responsible for your redemption. This is both a deterrent and a statement of our values at large. So semiotics is important here; in your example, Daryl Davis befriended Klansman; it was outreach. To be a friend suggests an acceptance despite of certain flaws.

I don’t know enough about Quinn Norton to say that she wasn’t doing the same thing as Davis, but she was sloppy with her words at a time when the other side is actively trying the blur the line.

Excellent points.

So yeah,

Oh Fox News, where is your outrage over this!

What on Earth would Nazis do if they didn’t have any friends because they were being rejected for being steaming piles of shit. Won’t anyone think of the Nazis!?

Here’s the thing; Daryl Davis is a better man than me. Besides making great music, he’s made it his mission to collect KKK uniforms from white supremacists that he turns through patience, logic, and bonhomie. He’s been doing it a long time, and each victory takes a long time as well.

If you watch the documentary about him, (I have) or read his book (I haven’t) he admits that more often than not, his approach doesn’t work. He may go into a Klan meeting and talk to 20 members, take a shit-ton of flack, get dismissed as a crazy man by most, and maybe walk out with an appointment to talk again to one person, which may go nowhere. Even then, Davis says some folks just plain do not want to change. He works on them, but they persist. Additionally, it’s risky. He’s been threatened and physically assaulted.

I hope Daryl Davis continues doing what he does, but I’m not wasting any time on these people. I enjoy not being around white supremacists. I don’t give a shit about their ideology and I have no interest in listening to their half-assed rants. I don’t care to cultivate a bunch of former-KKK friends. I don’t want to display seized or donated KKK memorabilia in a KKK museum (something Davis aspires to do). I definitely don’t want to be the godfather to someone’s child who, despite his outward friendliness and tearful testimonials of being a changed man, may still secretly think I’m a lesser creature.

Frankly, it’s not my bag, man. I reserve my charity for people I want to help, and I don’t really want to help white supremacists or Nazis.

More germane to this discussion, I don’t believe Quinn Norton has the skills, attitude, or honesty to turn her good buddy Andrew Auernheimer from his cushy Daily Stormer gig. In fact, I don’t even believe her when she says she will “lovingly confront them for as long as it takes” and doesn’t “support what my terrible friend believes or does.”

Quinn Norton is no Daryl Davis.

She says she wrote this kind of garbage because she was just playing along with her investigative subjects, but I’m going to call BS on that. She reveled in this stuff and her good buddy “weev” was part of it.

#Bothsides

How are they going to understand if you don’t call them words I won’t even type?

She was a crypto-racist, now she’s just a racist.