Neo Nazis and the Alt Right

That’s no event Tennessee.

I think I’d just turn that around and ask where the evidence of racism is. I understand that the clientele is mostly black, but as I posted above, the fees required to become licensed to dye hair (where the clientele could be assumed as mostly white) are higher, as are the education requirements.

As @magnet 's cite illustrates, these types of restrictions are almost ALWAYS initiated by a professional organization trying to protect their turf. If you can go to an unlicensed braider at his or her home, you don’t have to go to a salon, which means less business for them. To head that off, they convince the state to pass a requirement for a license and training… which their professional organization controls.

Doing searches and reading articles on this subject, this really doesn’t seem to be an unusual thing. The articles cited above make a big deal of the fines, but they don’t present any evidence to show that the rate of fines are unusual, or that they are more extreme than penalties levied on other occupations with similar licensing requirements. They don’t even mention it – it’s simply left to the reader to infer that since the article is about a “black industry” it must be unfairly biased against them and thus racist.

And maybe it is. It wouldn’t surprise me. But there doesn’t seem to be any evidence presented in the articles (The Root and the original Forbes posts) to support that conclusion.

That’s probably true. A better parallel might be simply hair cutting, where much of the training is in how to sanitize the equipment, prevent the spread of lice or crabs, avoiding open sores and the like.

There is nothing probably about it. Those are serious chemicals. You can seriously burn someone if you do it wrong, make their hair fall out, burn and scar their scalp. Are there good and bad ways to braid… sure but it’s not as if using them wrong will destroy your sense of smell or seep large amounts of toxic chemicals into your skin and therefore your body for decades.

They mention that some of these people are are 100k in debt due to the fines. I am guessing that’s… pretty unusual.

Natural hair and braids… yeah, the article doesn’t really need to spell out who this affects.

http://www.localmemphis.com/news/local-news/stylists-fight-against-bill-that-would-deregulate-natural-hair-industry-in-tennessee/971454973

Valve quietly shuts down hate groups:

It appears Valve has finally started dealing with the abundance of hate groups on its Steam marketplace, with scores of these communities silently deleted…

…In what is believed to be the biggest crackdown on such groups to date, scores of hate groups have been quietly deleted over the past two weeks. Various groups singled out in articles on Motherboard, Huffington Post and The Center For Investigative Reporting have been removed, and searching for terms like “school shooter” or “nazi” only produces groups opposed to such things.

Valve has made no announcement on this crackdown, and indeed Kotaku notes that it has yet to respond to any enquiries about the presence of hate groups on its platform.

While the groups already discovered by the press seem to have been removed, there’s no indication that Valve is attempting a comprehensive Steam-wide purge of these elements.

Okay so the industry isn’t happy but they’re talking about natural hair as a whole, and the other one was just braiding. Maybe they should separate that. Taking care of natural hair isn’t just weaves and braids.

Now they’re argument that it makes licenses and the cost to get those useless is true… taxi’s have said the same thing in cities like NYC and Uber and Lyft didn’t seem to pull out because of that… and they pay thousands, hold onto to those for generations.

Both of the articles about Tennessee are mainly about natural hair shops. Here is the first article again:

almost $100,000 in fines have been levied against several braiders and more than 30 different natural-hair shops

Yes, taxi owners lost that battle in NYC. And taxi medallions in NYC have plummeted in value. Likewise taxis are going out of business in Chicago. Of course, other cities have banned Uber, and so taxis survive.

My point is not to take sides in Tennessee. It’s to suggest that licensure of hair braiding is not really an issue about race, it’s a war between the new hair braiders and the old. No matter what happens, the winners and the losers will be mostly black people.

Fair enough.

I believe here it’s a license and a test, and that license doesn’t even qualify you to cut hair, just the extensions. Like the scope is very narrow and the cost is almost nothing because the school requirement is not there… but there is a license. They could still have a license but not make it so prohibitively expensive.

A crazy person can happen in any city. Sucks for anyone or anyplace involved, but I doubt it’s got much to do with Austin itself, unless it’s hate crimes and someone feels Austin is too darned liberal. Hope we find out soon and put a stop to it.

Ran unopposed in a heavily blue district and was denounced by his party leading up to the election. Still, bad optics to not put up an opponent who – even if they were crushed in November – isn’t a Nazi.

So, yeah, it would be kind of unfair for dems to bash the whole Republican party over their Nazi candidate. Too bad…

Fuck that, guy is running in my district. I’m going to bash them every chance I get.

Guess my “too bad…” could be read as “aw, darn, we won’t be able to bash the whole Republican party because it would be unfair” - but that’s not what I meant :)

heh, I know what you meant, I’m just really going in on this, since my in laws most likely voted for the guy in the primary, so I’m a little raring to go on it. Guy is in my district, so I’m fucking livid.

Voting for a fucking Nazi… I don’t like Lipinski, but damn it he’s gotta (and 99% surely will) win now.

I hate Illinois Nazis. …

Finally someone said it. :D

I wonder if this would work with a Honda Insight?

To be perfectly clear, I’m all aboard the Fuck Nazis train. I just think there are more potentially damaging Nazis out there. And hey, some good news!

https://www.ohio.com/akron/writers/katie-byard/white-nationalist-richard-spencer-apparently-no-longer-seeking-to-speak-at-kent-state-say-hes-rethinking-approach-to-college-tour

Punching Nazis works.