Neo Nazis and the Alt Right

In my case, it wasn’t that the Holocaust was never taught at all. Rather, it was a mere 2-3 paragraphs in a text book, maybe five minutes of class discussion or lecturing, and always ended with the Stars and Stripes riding in to save the day. Maybe there was a question on the test about the Holocaust, but there were never any deeper questions about the how and why of it. I also remember watching a movie adaptation of The Diary of Anne Frank in eighth-grade Literature, but there was not much talk about its context.

It was heavily emphasized in my elementary school and high school. We had a survivor from Sobibor come to the school and talk to everyone about it, talk about the movie we all saw, and we spent months on WW2 in high school. The pictures we saw, starving kids before they were gassed or burned.ugh.l… I’m not that old… yet. I don’t go around signaling out Nazis just because they’re angry white guys. These people were monsters and the current one are worship and are monsters too.

The native american massacres, very blunt about that, never portrayed as some sort of great American thing.

I would have loved to have had those experiences in grade school.

It fascinates me how different grade school curriculum in this country is, largely at the whims of state politics I guess. For example, I’m pretty sure I had at least one social studies teacher who believed in the Lost Cause. It was certainly common to have them glorify the Confederate army to varying degrees (“both sides fought gallantly,” “brother against brother,” “good people on both sides,” etc.). On the other hand, American Indians were usually discussed with some reverence (probably as a form of tokenism; lots of people where I grew up would brag about having “Indian blood”), although I’m thinking they downplayed the USA’s role in nearly destroying them.

Because \we had the visitor, that assembly, it really sticks me. I almost remember what he looked like, and he was old back then, but mostly remember two questions that were asked. One was, in the movie, he is seen killing guard during the escape, and he’s a kid, so of course kids asked him was that hard, did he feel guilty killing someone. And of course, this death camp we’re talking about, and it sounded like the prisoners knew that so… he put it more eloquently then I remember well but the answer was basically no, it was kill or be killed. And the second question was if Hitler were alive today, what would he say to him, what he would ask… and he said something along lines of… what can anyone say or ask to a crazy man, a person that far removed from humanity.

I realize that experiences are very different from one school to another. Heck even the classes in the same school were different, and sure as I got older more and more information came out but… heck I remember spend at least a few hours just on Pearl Harbor and knocking sounds of the ship that sank right there. The horrors of War, especially WW2 were part of my education very early. And later on, WW1 and what lead up to it, not so complimentary to the USA and the Allies but not told in a shaming way just… like the reasons why the masses would even let something like the Nazis party rise… and those anxieties don’t seem that different from today except… we’re not even close to the people having to bring in wheel barrels of money for bread. Not trying to downplay the anxiety, especially for the boomers who did what everyone told them to do, spend, and now they have nothing to retire on but this irrational fear of non-whites is… horrific and not as limited as it should be.

sorry wall of text there.

Holocaust Denial is a huge issue in the UK politics at the moment. I won’t go into detail as this is my safe space away from Labour Party politics (seriously) but a search will point you to numerous stories about Holocaust Denial and anti-Semitism and our councillors, candidates, media, MP’s, CLPs, Compliance, the Governing NEC Board and the former Head of Compliance/Disputes and why we have thousands of people protesting against us outside Parliament and our HQ.

nintchdbpict000395599243

Education should prepare young people for jobs in the corporate world.
/s

Yeah it does. Do they think Holocaust museums are like gas stations or something?

The closest one to me is… in St Louis.

There’s a bunch of them on the East coast around major cities, but once you leave the coast they don’t exist.

Likewise.

Self-made deadly traps!

I don’t know where to put run-of-the-mill racist stuff, but here’s a fun job ad in Australia seeking “Anglo Saxon” candidates.

“Nigel, you’re not allowed to put ‘whites only’ on a job post anymore!”
“Well, what can I say then, Angus?”
“Try…uh…‘Anglo Saxon’! That’ll get us just the quality type people we’re looking for!”

Hey @wumpus just a bug report.
On Android, on my pixel 2xl, tweets render like this:

With the image or video in the place where the authors image should be.

Can we stop giving this douchebag the attention he wants?

Not necessarily just your post, I’ve just been seeing posts about him for the last 15 hours or so.

They should rename the internet and call it Can we stop giving this douchebag the attention he wants?

True. :D

But if they did that, just imagine how lonely I’d be!

So what was the crisis actor crying about?

So… according to Alex Jones, President Trump has been… spending some time in Ding Dong Dell.

This must be a final break between them. Is Alex Jones drinking his own koolaid? I expect that con artists will be part cynical and part deluded fool, but this is just weird. Did he get new orders from Moscow?

(For my fanclub out there, I don’t do twitter, so I don’t know or care who this twitter personality is.)

Alex is a legit crazy person.

You can guide him with pushes, but at the end of the day he’s going to do his own thing.

For some reason, I didn’t think Alex Jones would ever turn against Trump for any reason. ShivaX’s assessment is accurate, and I think everyone already knew that, but somehow this took me by surprise.

So, who will the InfoWars crowd follow? They’re just as nutty as Jones so a bunch will agree with his position. And while eroding any part of Trump’s support base may be good, when they start spinning conspiracy theories with Trump as the target that’ll muddy the waters for anyone who cares about reality.

Interesting times.