Neo Nazis and the Alt Right

They do the same thing with Fox News. They run around claiming it’s highest of xyz meanwhile the others have split audiences that can “beat” Fox if you add them together. Aka, Republicans are trained to think this way.

Oh shit, we’re going to have a Republican governor again…PANIC TIME!

Make him put money up. I’d probably bet my house that Newsom is the next Gov of CA, especially if I could get a money line based on his reasoning.

Apparently he can’t count above 3?

But this all happened on Obama’s watch.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/07/us/sc-restaurant-worker-forced-labor/index.html

That’s a face just oozing with remorse.

Bobby Paul Edwards, 53, used violence, threats and intimidation on the African-American employee who worked at the eatery in Conway, according to the US Justice Department. It said Edwards hurled racial epithets at him, beat him with a belt, and hit him with pots and pans.

This week, Edwards pleaded guilty to one count of forced labor in the incidents, which allegedly happened when he managed the restaurant between 2009 and 2014.

Authorities said Smith had intellectual disabilities, and was afraid of losing his job. At times, Edwards, who’s white, would burn Smith’s bare neck with hot tongs to make him work faster, federal authorities said. Other times, he’d allegedly beat him with a belt and punch him with his fists.

In October 2014, a frequent customer noticed the scars on his body when he was putting food down and called authorities, who removed Smith from the restaurant, the affiliate said. The victim is about 40 years now.

The NAACP office in Conway pushed for tougher charges after a local court accused Edwards of assault, a misdemeanor, CNN affiliate WMBF reported.

Edwards faces up to 20 years in prison when he’s sentenced, a $250,000 maximum fine, and mandatory restitution to the victim. It’s unclear when he will be sentenced.

Trump’s next pardon?

How on earth did he survive if he wasn’t getting paid to work? Poor guy, all of that’s insane.

Seems like he literally enslaved the guy.

How much would you all bet he’s a registered, active voting Republican or Libertarian? It’s a sad thing to generalize, but we all know those are the groups that look sideways at this (original meanderings charge, what an insult).

What he did was outright slavery. Life in prison should be his sentence, and all his assets should go to that poor man. Or maybe a little prison but when he gets out, every dime he makes goes to the individual he enslaved along with forfeiting all his property and bank accounts to him.

Hopefully Newsom does for California what he’s done for SF!

Hmm:

Really doesn’t belong in this thread. Maybe Liberal Stupidity, though there are other causes (article has nothing to do with Newsom, who hasn’t been Mayor for years)… and your quote isn’t even from the article.

Newsom pledged to fix SF’s homeless problem in ten years in 2004, and people are discussing the governor’s race, but I take your point.

Just put it in the Liberal Stupidity, or even Whither Dems thread. Definitely worth discussing.

Rather convenient to also take a quote from 2004 with no data. Here’s wikipedia on care not cash:

On June 30, 2004, then-Mayor Newsom pledged to fix San Francisco’s homeless problem within 10 years and clear downtown streets of its widespread homeless population. He stated that people who were homeless and seriously ill would be given shelter. After 10 years and $1.5 billion, the city relocated 19,500 people off the streets, with 11,363 single adults being housed, and 8,086 people being sent to the home of a willing family member or friend through the Homeward Bound program. Before the program in 2002, there was a 8,640 generally homeless and 4,535 street homeless population in San Francisco. After the program was initiated, the homeless population dropped 28% by 2005, with a generally homeless population of 6,248 and a 2,655 street homeless population. However, after 2005, the homeless population has stayed approximately the same. In fact, the San Francisco population of homeless rose 3 percent between 2005 and 2013. The percentage of the homeless population in jail was cut in half between 2005 and 2013, which is an indicator that some of the homeless population who would have ended up in jail were now being housed and treated

Given that the timeframe encompasses the Housing crash, which created a lot of homelessness, your (attempted) slam is pretty poor.

I appreciate what you’re saying but the posters are right that the discussion would risk derailing this thread, so won’t respond. Sorry about that. I did that earlier with the lawyer thread so am wary of doing it again

Real winner here:

No worries. I’m probably a bit biased as I went to HS with Gavin.

The Alt right guys have some mighty shitty lawyers.

A lot of these lawsuits are just about publicity. Using SLAPP was great.

Here’s one that definitely is. The guy is representing himself.