Neo Nazis and the Alt Right

If i recall the German commander considered that the finest military feat he had ever beheld, but also because no one was killed either in the attack or explosion. Or so i have heard, i might be wrong.

Apparently only the Nordic counties at the time had the spare electricity for mass scale electrolysis because of glacial melt hydro power.

Color me surprised to find out that Spencer is also an asshole in his private life

So rather to my annoyance, I havenā€™t been able to bring myself to watch/listen to Real Time since Bill Maher put Steve Bannon on a few weeks ago.

A lot of people hate Maher but I generally enjoy him. I like his New Rules spots, forgive certain blind spots (he hates Mars and video games, evidently), and just appreciate anyone who can wittily articulate my own deep gut feeling that our country is in terrible trouble.

And I get that he takes pride in inviting Republicans onto his show so that the panels arenā€™t always a liberal echo chamber. And I share his wariness of freedom of speech being curtailed on the left as well as on the right, and his suspicion of the Twitter outrage brigade, and all that.

Stillā€¦ does Steve Bannon really need to go on Bill Maher and get to be all cute and cuddly and a ā€˜regular guyā€™ and field relatively softball questions? On some level I feel very betrayed by that.

I rather felt the same way when Colbert let Spicer come on to the Emmys in a ā€˜Iā€™m totally in on the joke and a good sportā€™ kind of way. (And Spicer is infinitely less influential than Bannon.)

I mean, why are these guys letting these people be cuddly as soon as Trump dumps them? Why do they get to have roguish grins and clever quips and all the rest of it? Itā€™s just the same as when Fallon ruffled Trumpā€™s hair, for which I will never forgive him (not that I liked him anyway).

Charlottesville Nazi inciter arrested (on way back to Brazil?):

Yeah Maher is normalising what really is a very small step from a murderous, supremacist, fascist regime.

You canā€™t do this shit. The BBC is fucking awful for ā€œpresenting both sides of the argumentā€ like weā€™re still in a different era. At least Sturgeon said no.

I think BB is probably throwing their money away on the lawsuit, but the misinformation they spread after discovery could make it worth it.

I watched the Bill Maher Steve Bannon segment and honestly I was struck by how fundamentally stupid Bannon came across as. This is the genius right wing strategist? He sounds like an idiot. He did not say a single intelligent thing.

I meanā€¦ he claimed repeatedly that Trump is a geniusā€¦

Bannon always strikes me as the douchey, smug guy in college who read a few books that other people hadnā€™t.

Except in this case it was Mein Kampf and The Turner Diaries.

Maherā€™s shtick has always been to give the opposition an open platform to air their beliefs. Thatā€™s the only way you can highlight the absurdities of it. If you are confrontational, mean, whatever, they arenā€™t going to be comfortable saying what they really believe.

Iā€™m sure Bannon stuck to his talking points, but Maher was able to slip in some challenges to Bannonā€™s positions that put him on the spot. Iā€™m not going to boycott Bill Maher for letting Bannon speak. Joe Rogan had Alex Jones on too, same idea, and it was amazing, it exposed Jones as an actual insane person (if you didnā€™t already know that).

You canā€™t hide from these people and shut down their speech. Itā€™s the Streisand effect, it just validates their shitty positions. Let them talk, and then challenge them, and challenge the audience as well. These people run the country right now, you canā€™t pretend they donā€™t exist and shouting over them doesnā€™t make them go away.

But how is Bannonā€™s speech being shut down by not going on Real Time? He until recently had the ear of the President of the U.S., and thereā€™s an entire media empire that will gladly trumpet his talking points any day of the week.

Put it this way. If a straight up Nazi skinhead ran for Congress, would we all be obligated to have polite conversation with him on Sunday talk shows? I know Bannon is not a straight up Nazi skinhead, but heā€™s on the spectrum dragging us in that direction, actively extending the ā€˜legitimateā€™ right until it practically includes such, and I think a line ought to be drawn somewhere.

Maher himself has repeatedly said that Trumpism is something new and uniquely awful and a clear and present danger to the republic. Heā€™s more fearful than I am of Trump ā€“ he repeatedly says he doesnā€™t think Trump is even going to step down as President and may cancel elections in 2020. If you believe all that, why do you put one of the chief architects of Trumpism on stage and act all friendly with him? I get it ā€“ itā€™s his Carson talk show instinct to be nice to the guest ā€“ but if we extend such courtesies all the way down the line itā€™s just another version of the boiling frog.

The idea that anybody is ā€˜pretending they donā€™t existā€™ is preposterous, by the way ā€“ as you say, they run the country. We canā€™t fucking get away from them. Bannon, and Trump, and Miller, and all the other douchebags, are ubiquitous.

Gee - big surprise this person is a Nazi tooā€¦

This guyā€™s supposed to be part of some master race?

Looks like heā€™s got a custom can of Barbasol stuffed into his parka.

Thereā€™s some story about Himmler, dunno if itā€™s true or not, where a general quipped that ā€œif I looked like him I wouldnā€™t talk about the master race so much.ā€

He looks ready to move into a van down by the river.

Anyone else think he looks more like a neo-nazi after the ā€œmakeoverā€?

Iā€™m pretty sure heā€™d consider that a step up. Most of these guys are literal ā€œtrailer trashā€.