Neo Nazis and the Alt Right

The logic in that post seems incredibly sound.

If you’re wondering why this man’s wife let him dress his kid up like Adolph Hitler, well, here ya go.

Hang on, isn’t Goldbach a Jewish surname?

Good Lord.

And I’m so glad about the Gab thing. Go back to ditto sheets, a-holes.

Yep, they’ve been winking and nodding at White Supremacists since at least the late 1960’s, so why not Nazis?

whynotboth.gif

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Halloween is about NOT being politically correct. Dressing up as a disgusting and horrifying monster is the point, no?

On the other hand, sounds like the wife and husband are not trying to be in the theme of monsters, and are in fact monsters themselves daily!

Sounds like the parents should be shunned, but what the people did on Halloween to the kid sounds very bad and disgusting as well.

Context of the times matters.

I am not getting into the whole PC element of Halloween because everyone will draw the line between a costume and an intention insult to a particular race or class. Though I laugh at anyone who utters the words “cultural appropriation” since I truly believe that the US is better off when it is a melting pot. That, by definition, encourages cultural appropriation.

But to your last point, this is not just disgusting but is tantamount to child abuse.

I think we are agreed on this point :)

It’s been a while since I’ve been out and about trick or treating on Halloween, but I don’t recall seeing lots of kids dressed up like actual mass murderers. If a kid came to my door dressed as Charles Manson, I’d have a visceral reaction as well. Same with Pol Pot or Ted Bundy.

I guess by now enough time has passed that you could dress up as Ghengis Khan.

But as you said this wasn’t a family of history buffs. They’re straight-up nazis and knew exactly what was going to happen.

I think I always saw Halloween as a opportunity to dress up as the thing that scared me the most (to take away some of its power), or maybe the thing I most wanted to be (to embolden your dreams), or even something that has special meaning, or (if your shallow) something you really liked how you looked when you dressed up as.

Though I can see the counterpoint to that, as if that was the case Trump would likely be inclined to dress up like a refugee this Halloween, and the liberals and media would collectively lose their shit! ;)

There is a lot of money in being a racist minority.

“One of the good ones,” as they often say.

Sure, but you, presumably, aren’t a nazi. This family saw Halloween as a way to ruin their child’s life to own the libs.

Nope you are correct on that, I have a lot of flaws, but fortunately I don’t have anything that epic/evil in my kit.

It’s a bold strategy Cotton

How about a big ol’ cup of NOPE is what I hope the judge gives him. Don’t be such a fucking idiot next time, buddy, how about that?

On another topic, with regard to reactions to Saturday’s massacre, and Gab losing its hosting, there was a concern troll in the comments on Ars today talking about how you have to reason and discuss things with Nazis and White Supremacists online to try to persuade them. To which I say and said, NO. They need to be SHAMED into keeping their idiotic, vile and pernicious opinions to themselves, and crawl back under their rocks.

In person persuasion may be a different thing, over months and years. But online? Ha!

They can’t be talked to or persuaded. At best they can be shamed and ridiculed.

She says her husband is a “living history buff”. And of course, she claims the Holocaust was fake news.

I always enjoy when court cases cite Spinal Tap.

I think that you can probably persuade many racists, because most racism stems from ignorance. In the pray, you could probably even persuade KKK members, because they were members of a group that carried non trivial sway in their communities.

But today?

Today, if you are a Nazi, or a member of the KKK, it means you went way out of your way to associate with them.

It means you are a monstrous, depraved animal. No one is going to “fix” you by talking.