Neo Nazis and the Alt Right

I had no clue who he was either, but I’ve heard of Empire. Whether you knew of him specifically or not, he’s on a popular TV show and that certainly counts as being a celebrity. That will naturally broaden the coverage this gets; I first read about this on the A.V. Club for example.

I think Stepsongrapes is correct that the reason this story is as big as it is, is because Smollett is a celebrity. But I don’t think that contradicts or undermines anything you’re saying Nesrie about how some people will inevitably react the wrong way about this, or that we should still take things like assault claims seriously.

Nesrie is right, the negative fallout from this is that double standards will be perpetuated, and that’s made worse because Smollett is a minority. But his celebrity status undoubtedly pushed this story to be as big as it is.

And then they ran a bunch of positive replies to the original article on the front page, including their names and email addresses:

Sutton told AL.com on Thursday he planned on leaving the newspaper soon.

“I am going to quit and do nothing, play tiddlywinks and chase lewd women. I just need to figure out what I’m going to do when I catch one,” Sutton told AL.com.

I believe the correct phase for that particular instance is “Moving on her like a bitch.”

Never apologize, Alabama. Or Steve King, either.

"Elitists"and “power brokers”, no doubt referring to the Mercers and the Kochs.

He should be voted out for stupidity if he can’t figure out why “white supremacist” is offensive.

It’s people like him that make us pick sides, because any side that accepts him is terribly offensive.

I already can’t wait for the Netflix documentary About Jacob Wohl’s descent into life in prison.

pushing Democratic primary voters to back weaker candidates who would be easier for Trump to defeat in the general election.

Good plan.

It never ceases to amaze me what assholes Republicans are. While Democrats aren’t immune, the ratio of horrible and evil on the Repub side is unreal. Wohl is such a piece of shit.

Up until very recently, Donald Trump was a Democrat.
His whole family and garbage children are Democrats.

Well, more like a ‘democrat’. Of course, they’re not really anything.

But yet he never could have won an election running as a Democrat… so is/was he really? Does he at all embody the spirit or norms or literally anything of the Democratic party?

Yes? He was a self identified democrat for years.

A more “acceptable” example would be his children though, specifically Ivanka. Until Trump started running for President, she was your typical rich liberal from NYC. She was like the poster child for that.

First statement: So Democrat, to you, is a meaningless label anyone can apply to themselves. So, your statement carries no weight either since it’s like, “Up until very recently, Trump was a goobleeblorker.”

Second part: I seriously doubt she was a liberal. That actually means something. But I’ll be the first to admit I don’t know much about her politics, I just find that very hard to believe.

Sounds like you’re saying Democrat has some noble immutable meaning, which is hard to square with the sentiment around here toward Republicans.

Edit: I mean if you try to say you hold to more historical conservative views that most politicians in the GOP have abandoned, and call yourself a Republican, asserting it’s the current GOP who have drifted from what that means, you get laughed out or painted with the same brush as the worst of the GOP under Trump.

I realize that at some point the party (any party) can change what they stand for, and I guess the question is what the threshold is for when that happens and the outliers and those falling in with the party line switch. So maybe I’ve answered my own question and I’m still just projecting my own anger at the Republican Party for changing what they represent. Oh well.

So then what are you basing your statement on? The fact that you now don’t like her, and can’t square that with your preconception that liberals are all good upstanding people?

Maybe the problem is your preconception?

On the fact that I don’t know a single liberal who could work anywhere near the Trump administration.

What I’m actually trying to say is a response to Timex’s original reply to Jeff. Jeff said Republicans are really awful right now and Timex said “Donald Trump used to be a Democrat” which is a really shitty argument.

Donald Trump completely embodies what Republicans want right now. I know this because they voted for him in a primary and they made him president. Democrats wouldn’t have done the same. His argument was garbage.

If his actual argument is that Republican is just a meaningless label, well then, that’s a different topic.