Nerdvana: External GPU Docks

Minecraft runs on everything, it’s java. It’s deliberately ugly/blocky so it runs fine on integrated GPUs too. It’s probably the worst example you could use!

But the point is solid, most PC games aren’t released on OSX.

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-blade

For those wanting a little extra oomph when not plugged into the core. It’s official, my next laptop will be one of these two (after getting my hands on both) provided the core isn’t stupidly priced.

Yeah, but, modded minecraft gets pretty beefy, I guess that is what I am referring to in terms of load. (with texture mods/etc)

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:jEdD0VmAs7EJ:venturebeat.com/2016/03/15/turn-a-laptop-into-a-desktop-razer-shipping-500-graphics-add-on-in-april/&num=1&hl=en&gl=us&strip=0&vwsrc=0

Coached venture beat article from earlier today stating that the core was going to cost 500 bucks. Has since been taken down. I was hoping it would be cheaper than that but feared it was going to cost that much. At that price it is pretty much a deal breaker. I can practically build a desktop at that price.

iOS gaming is arguably as large or larger than console gaming at this point, as far as dollars spent. Not at all w/re to quality of course.

Lol, if this is accurate. . .

I dunno. People continue to amaze me with the goofy crap they’ll spend money on, but this just feels too goofy.

Yea it’s a silly price point. I was hoping it would be something like $250 or 500 with some package deal with a GTX 970 ir ATI equivalent.

I think that’s early-adopter pricing and the prices will come way down as more sensible mass-produced items enter the market. It would make all sorts of sense to me for ATI or Nvidia to directly sell external GPUs and not rely on some adapter casing that puts conventional video cards into an external enclosure.

Yep, it should be $300 in the very first generation. $500 is waaaaay too high.

Thing is, Razer doesn’t have any secret sauce here. There’s nothing stopping random chinese manufacturers from competing on price. Pretty soon Asus and MSI and Gigabyte and ASrock and everybody else will be releasing these little guys and they’ll come to a reasonable price point with a slender profit margin.

Yikes $500 and it doesn’t come with a GPU? Yeesh.

Yea that’s what I’m waiting on. Still think I’m going to go with that new blade. A 970m is more than enough to hold me over until the prices on these kits come down.

What exactly costs so much? I don’t understand how it can be more expensive than a high end ATX case, motherboard and PSU. Is it just that there’s not much competition yet and they’re trying to bilk early adopters while they can?

Bingo.

Brad at Stardock is doing a multi GPU thing too?

It’s a nicely engineered aluminum case with custom lighting, with a decent powersupply, and intel does charge for the TB3 alpine ridge controller-- but that’s like $25. There’s no reason a plastic chinese knockoff should cost more than $100 or so-- and it will, just not right away.

I expect to see little integrated docking solutions with built-in 960Ms selling for $200 pretty soon too.

So I’ve decided on the stealth, but my question to those who know more than me is whether the better screen is worth it, 4K on a 12.5 inch laptop seems excessive, and is the 100% Adobe RGB worth it if I don’t really know what that means? It sounds like something super important for photo and video editors but no one else. Am I correct in that assessment?

It’s a high DPI screen, just like on your cellphone, which is beautiful. You don’t run it at 4k with 100% scaling, everything would be tiny. Adobe RGB bit means no banding colors and just generally ensures quality. Note the higher res screens also murder battery life.

You could switch it to 1080p while running off the battery, assuming Win10 can switch the scaling on the fly.

It’s not rendering to the higher resolution that consumes most of the power, it’s physically lighting up the screen. The much smaller pixels block more light, so they require a stronger backlight to shine through.

Well I returned the stealth the next day. It is a nice machine and all but it just felt a little too cramped. I’m coming from a surface pro 3 and it felt like more of the same. I need more room I think. Which brings me back to square one. I am still interested in the Razer blade, but it keeps getting delayed which has me worried about the build quality. I want a laptop that is competent when gaming on the go but can also plug into an external GPU. The XPS 15 looks like it would be perfect but I don’t think it supports external cards. Anyone know of any other laptops that support external cards? Quad core and 16 gigs of ram are highly preferred. SSD That is 256 or greater is a must.