Net Neutrality: Comcast Blocking Netflix

Who will also have to pay on top of that. :D

Will this make a strong push for municipal broadband? Or would municipal broadband still rely on “metered” internet to get out of the local area?

This is how the world ends. Not with a bang, but with a lot of people voting Republican.

It might, if ISPs weren’t lobbying state governments to outlaw municipal broadband.

Yep…

Didn’t stop YouTube from being throttled.

You just know the cable companies are going to price-tier the shit out of the Internet. They’ve been losing revenue on the TV side of things thanks to cord-cutting, and they’ll be looking to make that up on the Internet side.

Pai’s an arse, but he’s not the problem here. It’s the Republican majority on the FCC board.

Incidentally, the (new) FCC position on net neutrality is interesting in light of the DoJ’s position on the AT&T/Time Warner merger.

Oh please, the DOJ is fucking with that merger because Trump hates CNN. It has nothing to do with policy or the good of the people, it’s revenge.

The beauty of that is that Trump provided plenty of ammunition for the other side’s lawyers thanks to his endless tweeting!

Oh, of course. It’s just funny seeing the two different arms of the government argue in completely opposite directions at exactly the same time. The FCC is saying there’s no need to worry about cable companies putting their thumb on the scale in favour of their own content, while DoJ is saying it’s a mortal threat.

Or the FCC saying customers can always go to another internet provider, while the DoJ says the cable companies have effective monopolies.

I just submitted a reply on FCC.gov and called my Congressman. And I still feel helpless because Pajit will blow off any pro-Net Neutrality replies anyway (he has to date, even though they are overwhelming), and my Congressman is a Democrat, so he’s already on our side.

Both Iowa Senators = ‘free market! blah blah blah double talk’

It’s the inevitable result of untrammeled capitalism endorsed by our kelptocrats who are in the pockets of the even bigger kleptocrats. And of course, all supported at the polls by the very people who will get screwed, because no one bothers to actually think anymore, only react to tribal instincts cleverly cultivated by manipulative bastards.

The real solution? Internet as a basic right and service regulated if not totally controlled by the state. Like healthcare, but yeah, not gonna happen either.

Welcome to the world the robber barons of 1890 wanted, but couldn’t have. Keep an eye out for the Pinkertons.

This, basically. FCC commissioners are appointed and shielded fairly well from political fallout for their decisions.

Yep, that’s the response I got from mine as well. It’s important to get the government out of the way of innovation! Regulation bad, mmmkay? When I called, they pretty much hung up on me. ;)

It’s almost as though the government was being directed to benefit one man, rather than according to any coherent ideology.

NY State AG:

Specifically, for six months my office has been investigating who perpetrated a massive scheme to corrupt the FCC’s notice and comment process through the misuse of enormous numbers of real New Yorkers’ and other Americans’ identities. Such conduct likely violates state law — yet the FCC has refused multiple requests for crucial evidence in its sole possession that is vital to permit that law enforcement investigation to proceed.

He’s the AG. Can’t he subpoena the information?

I don’t know how that works to be honest.