Net Neutrality: Comcast Blocking Netflix

So who’s going to pull the first scum move? Verizon, Comcast, or AT&T?

(Pretty sure it is a trick question. They’ll collude to be scum all at once)

Check to see if your name might have been used to post a fake FCC comment:

https://badcomments.attorneygeneral.gov/

Mine wasn’t, but my parents’ were.

This.

But, Seattle is still kind of chilly and damp, right? So now I understand the people there are unfriendly, too?

Yes, it is chilly and damp, though we rarely actually get snow or ice.

And the freeze isn’t that we’re particularly unfriendly, just that it can be hard to make deep friends here. People will be superficially (and honestly) nice enough, but not go much further, get much closer than that.

Ajit Pai was not hugged enough as a child. It is the only explanation.

Alternately, he really likes money, and he wants a lot more of it when he returns to Verizon.

We could both be right ;)

Overrated.

Agreed.

There’s a lot of people with my name that are really opposed to Net Neutrality / Title II. And they all have the exact same copy/paste argument, to boot!

My name is apparently too unique. I’m almost a little disappointed it didn’t get co-opted.

I’m one of those with a fairly uncommon English first name and a weird foreign last name so I was not surprised to find that it wasn’t used.

There are so many people in the search results with my full name that I don’t have the time or the energy to go through them all. Reassuringly, the first ten or so I did check were all legit folks who were writing in AGAINST the repeal. My name brothers are some good people! =)

How do you do, fellow humans

TIL that apparently ‘informed’ is a synonym for ‘bought and paid for.’

Just to be clear I understand, this bill ADDS government bloat; any throttling or blocking needs to be shown to the customer, oversight which doesn’t take care of itself, and it needs to be judged as to whether it’s anti-competitive (which also doesn’t take care of itself). Is that correct?

Depends what you’re comparing it to, I guess. It basically puts in under the jurisdiction of the FTC, and effectively requires consumers to bring complaints. Compared to the previous Open Internet order, it’s a lot less regulation. Compared to what the FCC wanted to do before the Open Internet Order, it’s a lot less regulation. Compared to, say, 2002, it’s more regulation.

I have all these friends (the anti-Monsanto, anti-Bush, anti-Obama types) who are lauding the removal of net neutrality saying that removing regulations will improve innovation, as FB and Youtube came about without NN around.

Now I know that’s not a good, consistent argument (incipient vs mature), but what are the actual arguments for NN harming innovation. How does it do that? I’m curious as to what y’all have heard being put forth in that regard.

In terms of the likes of Netflix, there really aren’t any. Any innovation a non-NN environment fosters is on the part of ISPs and other distribution networks - eg zero rating content.