Netflix changes from stars to thumbs

I assumed that the bump of the thread would be to mention that they’re doing away with user reviews as well so you have no inline method of evaluating quality before watching something whatsoever, but apparently not.

I don’t think user reviews are anywhere near as useful as a couple good critical reviews, but fuck, man.

Hush you!

I had a weird issue, back when they had stars, where it would tell me everything was 5 stars, until I started watching it. Then when I went back to the browsing screen, it would be 2 or 3 stars. So, not super useful.

Given the level of content they’re pumping out – I think it was somewhere around War Machine when I thought, “wait a sec, uhhh, really…?” – I’m not the least bit surprised they want to phase out tools commonly used to measure quality.

So, who here saw Mute? Bright? Tau? Cloverfield Paradox? Ouch.

-Tom

I tried watching Tau. My wife saw that it popped up as recommended for me and she just hit play without reading the summary (a rare event in itself). Oh, did I mention she also completely hates movies where women are brutalized at the start? Yeah, this didn’t go well. We abandoned it after about 20 minutes I think.

Relative to the ratings Netflix gives movies now, I see them as similarity scores to things I’ve already watched. It doesn’t affect my viewing much. Plus, Netflix knows I like crappy scifi movies! So typically I will stick with the crappy movies.

My wife is brutal though - she’ll trolls Netflix nightly looking for romantic and/or comedies. If she starts watching something and it’s got bad actors or bad writing, she jettisons it immediately. About half of her Netflix feed is movies where she’s watched 5 minutes and ditched.

I approve of your wife’s viewing habits and I wish I had her fortitude. For instance, I watched this last night:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DYHKDBR?ie=UTF8&tag=qt3-20&camp=1789&linkCode=xm2&creativeASIN=B07DYHKDBR

-Tom

I mean, I haven’t seen Mute yet. So I’ve got something going for me.

Please stop me from watching Mute. It keeps showing up, and I keep almost selecting it.

Wait, it has counselor Troi and Quark? Tempting!

Also, I enjoyed Bright. It’s a decent B-movie, so maybe I should try some of the others on that list. On the other hand, you put Cloverfield Paradox on that list, and I couldn’t stand to watch more than 20 minutes of that.

And Tuvok.

Doug Jones is in Star Trek: Discovery too.

(And several other movies that require wearing some sort of rubber suit.)

It’s not good. I’m pretty much the target audience for it, and while I didn’t hate it as much as Tom and many others, I absolutely wouldn’t recommend it to anyone.

Mute = Awful
Tau = Terrible
Cloverfield Paradox = FFFFFFUUUUUU
Bright = Disappointing
Cargo = Actually okay
The Outsider = Garbage
The Babysitter = Good
Death Note = WTF Adam Wingard?
What Happened to Monday = Watchable
Clinical = Bland pudding
Anon = Go away please
Open House = Boring
Little Evil = Even less funny than the trailer
The Ritual = Liked this quite a bit
The Titan = Sam Worthington nuff said

Sweet. I’ll add Cargo, The Babysitter, The Ritual and The Titan to my list.

There’s a whole thread. Half the people thought it was trash and got yelled at by the other half.

Cloverfield Paradox? I tried. I really tried. I failed.

Anon wasn’t terrible. I mean, it was kind of terrible, but it had some cool ideas in it. The ending is bad though.

Okja and I Don’t Feel At Home In This World Any More are both good.

Yes, you would definitely need a case of beer to enjoy Cloverfield Paradox.

My mistake is clear. Lack of alcohol.

For most of us, we tried watching it right after the Super Bowl. They suddenly announced it and released it during the Superbowl.

It was a fairly exciting Superbowl last year, so the movie was an immediate letdown from that perspective alone.