Netflix changes from stars to thumbs

Anon was a cool idea, just way too slow.

Adding to that list, For mild horror I’ll add Gerald’s Game. An actually fairly good King adaptation.

Yeah, my girlfriend and I watched this over the weekend and thought it was great. You can tell it was by the guy behind Memories of Murder with its tonal shifts. I don’t remember much of The Host though. Definitely need to check out more of his stuff.

Not watched The Ritual yet. Cargo was good despite the silly moment early on that sparks the entire flick. The Babysitter was… well, it had its moments I suppose, but we thought it was a stupid mess. We much preferred Emelie.

Yeah, we really liked Gerald’s Game, ending and all. There’s a very icky scene it that I’ll not forget in a hurry.

Okay. This time I had a few vodkas, some herbaceous stuff my step daughter brought over, a blue cheese burger and onion rings.

I got to the part at around 1:10:00 where they have to eject some spinning thing that is part of another, larger spinning thing. On a space station.

I give up. The writing is horrible. The tropes are flying. The dialog is stilted and fake. The tears are glycerine. The characters are forgettable. The movie, since it’s streaming, can’t be burned for warmth.

Never again.

Ouch, it does look bad when you put them all together. Have yet to see The Ritual, Anon and The Titan, but I wouldn’t recommend any other film on that list except for What Happened to Monday, which indeed was pretty watchable. I wanted to like Cargo but it put me to sleep – I guess I just cannot tolerate any more zombie movies.

I watched two horror films yesterday - A Quiet Place and The Ritual.

Enjoyed Ritual quite a bit more. Quiet Place is fairly well done “old school” thriller/horror, but even with its 90 minute length I found it way too slow at times and the characters underdeveloped.

Ritual was great though, the atmosphere of swedish nature was brilliant and even the creature was so well designed, it made up for that actiony ending.

So, there’s a shitstorm erupting over the weekend when it was revealed that Netflix has been testing ads for its own shows between movies and episodes. (Only a tiny percentage of viewers are getting the test ads).

It sounds sorta innocuous, but Netflix trained an entire generation of viewers to never see a commercial, and the opening of this door has resulted in a gigantic firestorm.

Netflix insists that they’re not testing “commercials”, but everyone is jumping on them, from regular Netflix consumers to the press.

This happened, btw.

This doesn’t seem all that different to playing the music and/or trailer for the show that you’re hovering on, annoyance wise. That’s plenty annoying as it is. As long as they’re not showing anything during shows, and these new things are skippable, I don’t really care.

The fans worry that it’s just opening the door for 30 second commercials from companies outside of Netflix. And there’s probably a lot of companies wanting to throw a lot of money at Netflix to get in front of Netflix’s audience.

I’m sure in a showdown between what’s good for the people and what’s good for the company’s coffers, Netflix will follow the general trend of corporations in America and side with the fans.

Fans?

Hmm I swear Woolen_Horde’s post just read ‘fans’ instead of ‘audience’ so I went with that, but could be imagining it. Anyways, I’m sure Netflix will make the right decision for their audience and Just Say ‘No’ to corporate greed. /s

It sounded like these were not skippable. But also I wish they wouldn’t do the video previews on mouseover, or the big moving ads at the top either. This is the kind of shit I went to Netflix to avoid.

I watch Netflix original content these days, and maybe some TV once in a while (if I find something new and want to back-catalog binge). But that is it. I actually can’t remember the last time I watched a film on Netflix. Maybe The Founder? And that was six months ago.

As I’m sure it has been asked one million times, is there a way to disable that feature? As you stated, it is incredibly annoying.

Netflix has really gone downhill these last 2 years-ish.

Their content has gone down considerably in volume, as they have ramped up their own content. This is not, technically, why I subbed to Netflix in the first place, and I truly hope they realize that. If and when they become entirely their own channel is a time I won’t reach because I’ll have unsubbed long before then.

They are producing their own content because they cannot rely on other media companies to support their empire when said media companies now understand its potential for profit. I’m sure they would love to offer everything ever made for streaming but it’s not up to them.

I hear you. And I used to recite this mantra to myself. That being said, other streaming companies DO get content. They pay for the rights to do so. Netflix seems to be slowly abandoning this altogether. Remember when there was a semi-decent selection of older movies to stream off Netflix? That wasn’t but 5 years ago, tops. It has changed rapidly, akin to the timeline @Navaronegun mentioned.

While I’ve enjoyed some of their content, there have been some missteps as well. To add to that, there were rumors posted a while back they are looking to dial down their original content budget. Which leaves us, the subscribers, with less non-original content, and possibly a downturn in the quality of content Netflix is pushing on its own.

They need to right the ship or decide their path.

Edit: I tried to find a source of the rumor mentioned but could not. Instead I found a three part series on Netflix’s current operating budget and accounting plan. They are spending money hand over fist to win the content war it seems.

For traditional media players, content spend is relatively flat year-over-year (with this delta further smoothed out by the fact that this spend spans fiscal years). This stability means that for them, unlike Netflix, the disconnect between cash spend and amortization is typically modest, if not negligible. At Home Box Office (inclusive of HBO and Cinemax), for example, total content costs have grown from $2.035B in 2015 to $2.260B in 2017 (or +3.3% a year). Netflix cash spend has grown by roughly HBO’s entire content budget in each of the past three years.

Yeah, my biggest disappointment in Netflix is their current strategy of funding every half-baked series idea in the interest of cramming more “content” on their service. I understand why they’re doing it, but a lot of it is very mediocre or worse. I’m about ready to move on completely.