Netflix Defenders

Still excited for this, but I was holding onto a slim reed of hope that they’d work in Stephen Strange somehow…I guess that’s off the table. Defenders without Strange or the Surfer and Hulk or Namor isn’t really the Defenders in anything but name, but the quality of the other Netflix series means I’ll still be there day one.

I doubt we will see Cumberbatch in much TV other than some BBC stuff that he seems to do out of love. The guy is very busy in the movie business. I would love some Dr. Strange, though.

Well, Strange is the only one I could have seen happening even slightly. I assume Namor and the Surfer are lost to the MCU with the Fantastic Four rights, and the Surfer and Hulk would both be tough to do on a TV budget, I would think. But even Strange is operating at a whole different power level than the gritty street level stuff that’s characterized Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage so far and will presumably be a mainstay of Iron Fist as well (though what little I’ve read of Iron Fist suggests his storylines will likely have a more mystical bent than the other three have, undead ninjas notwithstanding).

I was thinking about this show the other day. Some of the promotional text gives the impression that something will get all four of them united against a mysterious opponent (well, Weaver, but who is she exactly? There’s talk she’s a brand new villain.) Other than the usual “something is destroying the city” type of motivation, what else could there be?

My thinking was Claire. She has an impact in every single show–maybe slightly less of a direct impact on Jessica Jones–and it’s already been revealed that Claire is going to take self-defense lessons that just happens to be Danny’s dojo or whatever. So I’m going to speculate here is that Claire is either severely hurt or perhaps even killed at the beginning of the Defenders.

— Alan

Namor rights are actually not with Fantastic Four. They’re very muddled though, and probably not worthwhile untangling at this point, as both the original licensing deal was terrible and multiple parties have claims currently.

Despite theoretically being in the same “universe”, the Netflix shows have really been segregated into their own thing, other than some awkward references to Avengers 1 which weirdly didn’t even use character names.

Definitely not representative of the comics version of the Defenders, but still really looking forward to seeing these characters collected into one show.

I’m sad we get no butt-shot of Charlie Cox.

Wait, where’s Valkyrie?!

https://youtu.be/DzNA-_BNuUA

If 8/18 is really the premiere date, then I have grave concerns for this show based on how Iron Fist turned out.

Yup. I first noticed her on Breaking Bad.

Official Trailer. I think this looks just exactly like what I was hoping it would look like!

https://youtu.be/4h3m7B4v6Zc

I love how that thumbnail image emphasizes the color pallates of the 4 individual shows. Red, blue, green, and boring.

Stitch is back!

Hopefully Danny Rand has taken a few fighting lessons in fighting from Murdoch.

I thought Danny looked much better (in terms of line delivery and action) here than in Iron Fist. I wish Netflix hadn’t put such a rush on Iron Fist, but hopefully the character can be redeemed here.

I hope this show ends up good. Because then we have a new meme where we can call the weak member of any group a “Danny”.

Still slowly forcing myself to watch Iron Fist, and it’s really sucking the anticipation out of this.

The Defenders is mostly the Daredevil showrunner/production team though, right? Did I imagine that?

Correct - this is the A-team of the Netflix Marvel production crew, and I think that trailer was extremely promising. High hopes. Seems like it’ll be focused on resolving the Hand-in-New-York, but hopefully there’s some additional malevolence. Wonder if Sigourney is playing a character with a Marvel history as the villain.

You don’t think that she looks like what Michael Jackson would have if he went through full transition?

Different strokes and all, but you are fucking insane.

There is a bit of tongue-in-cheek there. She is attractive.

I really need to catch up on these shows. It’s killing me as a Marvel fan that I still haven’t seen any of them.