Netflix may be getting into video games

Yeah, it seems impossible to find a webpage listing all the games they’ve released! Unbelievable.

Anyway, besides Into the Breach, I’ve only played Poinpy so far. It’s a really good how-far-can-you-go game like Downwell (I think it’s the same devs), but going up! It has a nicely designed progression system that really makes you feel like you’re a super-player later in the game.

I’ve read recommendations for krispee street and Wonderputt but have yet to fire them up. Also, they’ve released a new version of Townsmen, which is thematically bland and not stunningly original, but is still maybe one of the best city builders on mobile. I think it’s the same old game, but without microtransactions.

This is the page with the list of games, as far as I know:

I had no idea! This is pretty great. Just tried Poinpy, Mahjong Solitaire, and Wonderputt.

I thought you were trolling me for a second. I’d been to that page when I was looking earlier, and it just seemed empty, until I looked closely. Why the hell did they bury all the games under one of those unfolding bullet points??

The games are pretty front and center in the mobile apps on iOS and Android. But if you only watch on a TV it’s easy to not know about them.

Yeah, there’s an icon at the bottom of the Netflix app for Android for games. should admit I’ve developed an addiction to knittens, which is an ad- and RMT free candy crush clone. Which is funny, because I was only interested in Netflix Games for Into the Breach.

Well, okay. Netflix is moving past mobile-only.

Good for him! I wonder if he was getting as tired of Halo as all the rest of us.

Subscription service for games? They have a lot of know-how in that area.

Ha! I started the Halo series just after Christmas and I’m of the firm opinion Combat Evolved is the only one worth bothering with. Reach was awful, Halo 2 was all over the place with some satisfying bits and Halo 3 just… more of the same, so much so we just knocked it on the head, for now. How the series is still going baffles me.

Aw, now I can’t get behind that. I think Reach was a perfect culmination of what Bungie was doing with Halo, a really great send off. It even had a dogfighting level! And I dug its whole “Seven Samurai/Magnificent Seven” thing it was doing. I kind of trailed off with Halo after that, I played 4 and 5 and Infinite and they were … fine I guess, but never really grabbed me. Anyway I guess this is a Netflix thread and not a Halo thread, but I am definitely curious to see what Joe is working on someday.

Ya, Combat Evolved is still the best. Though ODST is really good too in a different way. And Reach had some good bits, as did Halo 4.

Keep going to Halo Infinite if you can, the grappling hook and the open world really made me enjoy the series again in a fresh way.

They’re bringing back World of Goo.

Ha, I think that was one of the first games I played on Steam. Haven’t thought about that game in forever.

Hey, how are we not talking about this?

Lots of info here.

https://about.netflix.com/en/news/whats-next-for-netflix-games

They’ll have 86 games on the service by the end of 2024. (They have launched 40 games already).

Unfortunately their video on upcoming stuff seems to be private right now. Here’s what they say on that in text form: Quote Starts

Cozy Grove: Camp Spirit - Coming 2024

Embark on a heartwarming adventure in Cozy Grove: Camp Spirit, the sequel to Spry Fox’s beloved life-sim game Cozy Grove. As a Spirit Scout on a haunted island, you’ll once again befriend and assist an unusual assortment of troubled ghostly bears. In addition to all new ghost stories, Camp Spirit comes with new activities (ever want to powerwash a ghost with a blowfish?), new furry companions with stories and abilities of their own (“can you pet the dog” is such a low bar…) and much more. Get ready to swear the Spirit Scout oath once again, in Cozy Grove: Camp Spirit!

FashionVerse - Coming 2024

Your game, your style. Design your own fashion, become a trendsetter, and embrace your unique style in FashionVerse: the first AI-enhanced, 3D mobile Fashion game featuring inclusive models in photo realistic scenes, offering heightened creativity to all players. Dress up diverse models, create stunning outfits, and compete against others in glamorous challenges. Show off your creativity, earn rewards, and make your mark.

Game Dev Tycoon - Coming 2024

Replay the history of the gaming industry by starting your own video game development company in the ‘80s. Research new technologies and run your business. Create best-selling games and gain worldwide fans. New in the exclusive Netflix edition: Develop games based on some of your favorite films and TV series. Test your decision-making skills in bespoke story events and explore marketing opportunities with content creators.

Sonic Mania Plus - Coming 2024

Exclusive to Netflix Games and on mobile for the first time, experience the ultimate celebration of past and future in Sonic Mania Plus. Multiple playable characters give you the ability to go explosively fast as Sonic, soar as Tails, or power through tough obstacles with Knuckles’ brute strength. You can relive the Sonic of the past with an exciting new twist on classic zones while fighting against new bosses and Dr. Eggman’s evil robot army. Sonic Mania Plus was developed by Christian Whitehead, Headcannon, and PagodaWest Games in collaboration with Sonic Team. Welcome to Sonic Mania Plus!

More games coming soon include:

Braid, Anniversary Edition (April 30)

Chicken Run: Eggstraction

The Dragon Prince: Xadia

Dumb Ways to Survive

Hades

Harmonium: The Musical

Katana Zero

Money Heist: Ultimate Choice (Jan 4)

Monument Valley 1 & 2

Netflix Stories: Virgin River

Paper Trail

The Rise Of The Golden Idol

A Rebel Moon game developed by Super Evil Megacorp. The game will take place following the events of Rebel Moon — Part One: A Child of Fire and Rebel Moon — Part Two: The Scargiver. Choose your rebel and join the fight in this four-player co-op action game.

A game set in the universe of Squid Game, in which you can compete with other players in games from the hit series.

Endquote.