Netflix movie finds

This looks way better than Gunpowder Milkshake. Although I don’t think I like the teenager sidekick. Urgh.

Believe it or not, she was in Birds of Prey, blink and you miss her. So she is on a roll with action roles (her in Die Hard 4 is just another damsel in distress and doesn’t count).

I was unable to endure Birds of Prey after the first quarter or so of the movie.

I just watched The Losers. I was thinking, “oh, that’s funny, they did a joke about Chris Evans being a government-created super soldier, and he did an elevator scene”.

I looked it up afterwards, this movie is from 2010, before First Avenger even came out. Which I guess explains how they could afford Chris Evans, Zoe Seldana and Idris Elba.

So the elevator scene in Winter Soldier is actually a rip-off of this movie. (not really).

So did I. This movie was terrible. It had a really low-budget feel to it, and not in a good way. I’d say they blew the whole budget on actors, but as mentioned, this was before these people were famous. One of the Netflix key words is ‘slick’. Um, no.

Yeah, The Losers was a pretty poor film. It had the benefit of a few charismatic actors which at least made it watchable for me.

The Tucc and Keaton reunited after Spotlight.

I know @tomchick dislikes catch all threads, but since this post from the 20:20 game and one from the Tenet thread are literally the only things on the forum I could find about Beckett, and it isn’t really a movie with a lot of discussion needed, last night I watched Beckett

I actually mostly liked it. JDW runs like an absolute knob, but it is a fairly grounded film with editing that does a fairly good job of giving a sense of space which really helps maintain the tension.

But I say mostly liked it because it goes off the rails in the last 20 minutes or so, after he reaches the embassy. Culminating in the absurd thing that happens about 1 minute prior to the 80:80 frame that had me literally groaning ‘no, don’t. Please don’t’ at the TV as he prepped for it.

But overall if you want a chase thriller that runs through the backyards of rural Greece, this is worth a watch.

Collateral plus vampires? Sure, why not?

https://youtu.be/hzDV_K7lACg

I watched The Hummingbird Project which is on Netflix right now. I highly recommend.

Jesse Eisenberg as the charismatic but reckless faceman and Alexander Skarsgård as the awkward but brilliant tech geek quit their company to compete directly against their former “by any means necessary” boss Salma Hayek to build the fastest Internet connection infrastructure between Kansas and New York in all the land (for the purpose of trading stocks at 1 millisecond faster)

It’s hilarious and shit gets real.

Oh my god, this movie “The Guilty” with Jake Gyllenhaal is CRAZY. It’s basically just him talking on a phone in a room the entire movie, and somehow it’s good.

Fair warning, this is not feel good movie.

So it’s like that Tom Hardy movie where he was driving? What was that one?

Locke. Not to be confused with Logan, where Hugh Jackman is old and stabby.

Yeah, that’s it. So how does it compare to Locke, Timex? Have you seen that one?

Lol, I thought this was a joke, referring to Mad Max… Ostensibly “a movie where Tom Hardy just drives the whole movie”.

I have not seen locke though.

Haha, fair.

Though he doesn’t have a line in that until what, an hour in or something? Kind of the opposite, heh.

Locke is fantastic.

Netflix has recently put up a series of short films that have some connection to Blomkamp, Oats Studios. I watched the first three and I have to say I’m distinctly underwhelmed. Two of them seemed to be effectively pitches to make a feature length film, and not ones I was particularly interested in, and the third was almost literally doing a sort of Too Many Cooks kind of thing but not actually going anywhere with it.

If anyone has watched them and can recommend particular “episodes” that are better than those, I’d be grateful, because I’m not really feeling like watching any more at this point.

I believe they literally ARE pitches for full length movie. At least “firebase” is.

It’s no Love, Death & Robots so don’t think it’ll be worth your time for the others. That said, I’m more tolerant of loose ends than most so enjoyed having my interest piqued even without any real resolution. I enjoyed Rakka for the aesthetic. Phoenix Point could learn a thing or two. The closest we get to a reasonably self-contained short is the Zygote episode but it suffers from being amongst the weakest conceptually.

fox.mrs had to leave the room for the first Cooking With Bill short, though for me it didn’t really amount to much more than a Kenny Everett/Omega Mart mashup. She enjoyed the God skits though they’re a bit one-note.