Netflix movie finds

We watched Sweet Girl last night, the Jason Momoa Netflix action film. It was all right. Some well made action scenes, more interesting and well shot than average, with fairly good and clear editing.

There was a twist, that both my wife and I were wondering if they were going to pull. I dare say it is one most people here would guess was coming from about 20 minutes in. I could compare it to another well known film that has almost the same twist but. it would give the game away.

I’m not sure the writing holds up. Some janky dialogue and weird jumps of logic. Some may have been intentional, laying the groundwork for the twist, others felt like just not good writing.

The ending does leave some massive questions, like that isn’t how this ends. You don’t just walk away there.

But if you want to watch a film of Jason Momoa in a Bourne type action movie with editing and shooting that isn’t a coked out kangaroo (i.e. longer, pulled back, clear. aka good) then worth a look.

Okay losers, I watched Locke and The Gulity. It’s fine.

But watch The Humming Bird Project instead. It’s way better.

The Guilty is a remake of a scandinavian movie of the same name, FYI.

Ha ha, you guys watched an Antoine Fuqua movie that isn’t called Training Day!

The American Guilty is soooo bad, especially when you consider it alongside the source material. Even the overblown production values are absurd. Here’s a 911 dispatch center according to Hollywood:

Here’s how it looks in a Danish movie:

Gyllenhaal did his best, but ye gods, the script adaptation and direction are so heavy-handed. Not to mention the giant REDEMPTION, BITCHES! sledgehammer that gets slammed down at the end of the American version. I can understand watching it and thinking it’s an interesting idea, but the Danish original is a thoughtful exploration of police overreach and personal biases. The American remake is neither of those things; it’s a thundering clumsy action movie minus the actual action.

-Tom

I liked it, Gyllenhaal was great in it.

Pretty meh about it. I can’t really recommend it.

I surprised to see Ethan Hawke’s name in the credits.

Tried to watch what appears to be the remake with Gyllenhall the other night, and, while he is an actor capable of carrying this type of film, I just couldn’t stand watching the character (portrayal?) for 90 odd minutes. Watched the first 30 mins, decided to give it another 15, and then turned it off.

YMMV.

Edit - did a search and this was the post which came up. Looks like I’m not the only one who got snookered.

I found this to be interesting, relaxing to watch and overall enjoyable.

Give me that ten-million dollar 911 call center!

LOL - Thanks for that laugh!

The actual call centers in Los Angeles actually look like that.

And that picture is from nearly 10 years ago.

“Authentic Asian Taste”

On a different Netflix note, the latest season of The Movies That Made Us is up. In time for the occasion, covering Halloween, Friday the 13th, and Nightmare on Elm Street. Also, Aliens, Robocop, and Coming to America.

Oh wow. I really love that show. This, of all things, might get me to subscribe to Netflix again.

(And of course, I’ll have to watch Squid game, because my god, I’m so curious about that).

Yes, these are pretty good, if a little silly. I’ve watched Halloween and Friday the 13th from this new batch so far.

Negative review of latest Netflix movie despite a great cast.

Does it deserve its own thread? Doesn’t sound like it.

That cast is amazing, but yeah, the A.V. Club review killed any interest I had. A real shame.

Looking forward to checking these out.

And you can visit the site in Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, a little earlier on :)

Noice, man did I ever burn out on Valhalla, barely half way through it. First AC game I haven’t finished. I guess I can revisit over the winter.