Netflix movie finds

Got some weird Jean Pierre Jeunut stuff coming to Netflix.

Is there any other kind?

You don’t need to explain the joke, Enola.

Madea Homecoming!

This just got added:

Reviews are limited but strong, so I’ll probably check it out over the weekend and report back.

Not looking promising so far, though it’s polarising rather than universally panned:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/bigbug

I watched bigbug, and I really didn’t like it. The plot made no sense, the character actions made no sense, the world made no sense. They introduce situations and then never explain them.

For example, near the beginning of the movie there is a giant traffic jam they talk about. They never explain the reasoning behind it or the implications of it, only that it happened and is ‘mysterious’. Then after the first part of the movie its never mentioned again.

A big part the premise of the movie is a bunch of people are locked in a house. In the movie they explain that there is some kind of exterior threat level that has been exceeded and people are locked in for their own protection. They never explain what the threat actually was. I kept expecting an army of kill bots or something to show up to justify this ‘threat level’, but no, nothing ever happens.

I could go on and list dozens of things like that.

What I wonder is how did anyone reading the script OK with it?

I wasn’t a fan of the film either but…they do kind of explain that stuff, just not overtly. The in-house AI talk about the Yonex threat being bigger than the people think right at the start of the film, and it’s implied the traffic jam was their doing as part of the AI uprising. A big part of the film are the characters being kind of oblivious to what is really going on and more concerned with their own selfish whims until it’s right on their doorstop, in a way it’s maybe a bit of a Covid lockdown parable as much as a technofear farce.

The thing I found most perplexing about the movie was the structure, there’s all these dramatic shot fade to black as if you were cutting to a commercial and far as I know this was a movie made for Netflix so all these commercial break moments are really odd.

I did catch that implication, but still, why bother with the traffic jam? What purpose did it serve? Also about locking people in their house because of the nebulous Yonix threat, why? This is part of where I was expecting a kill bot army to show up, but never did. Its like, these AI robots are evil and somewhere out there, and we have known this for a long time, but right now, at this moment, we are going to lock you inside…

I mean I can overlook one or two things, but this was a non-stop chain of shit that made little to no sense. Like the whole AC situation. So everyone is inside before they are locked in, and everyone is totally fine, then when they can’t leave suddenly everyone gets hot? Then they need permission from some central authority to turn it on? Where did this come from? What sane, free society would stand for that?

There is just so much wrong with this movie.

The Yonex are taking over but it’s under the guise of enforcing laws, it’s a revolution in part through bureaucracy. The traffic jam ties into that. They are generating situations in which the humans become desperate and hand over control, that is sort of the point of the gameshow, it was a choice for the contestants technically though they were desperate and coerced. The Yonex that shows up at the house doesn’t just kill them or what not when it comes in, it starts enforcing laws in an escalating fashion. You can see why the house AI wanted to keep the folks in the house, as outside they’d be at risk from trivial law enforcement (1 mph over the speed limit leading to car seizure etc.)

Also, the movie at it’s heart is a farce.

Just accept that the whole thing was about seeing Claire Chust in her underwear. Hence the AC situation is of vital importance.

Though I will say the set design was almost as sumptuous as Ms Chust.

I just watched “official secrets”, it looks like it been on Netflix since Oct.

Keira Knightly, stars a 29 year-old working in the UK equivalent of the NSA, who leaks an NSA memo asking for the UK help in drumming up support for the Iraq invasion back 2003.

Nicely acted, suspenseful, don’t Google what happened, and evidently pretty faithful to what really happened.

Noomi Rapace action thriller on ice

Why did I watch Zone 414 on Netflix? I guess because Guy Pearce was in it and it was about robots? Well, it was a bad choice. Badly written, terribly acted, poorly edited, and the soundtrack was like getting a cavity filled at the dentist for 90 minutes.

Wouldn’t recommend it.

Ha ha, you watched Zone 414!

(For future reference, Lockout is the crappy Guy Pearce sci-fi movie we should have watched instead.)

-Tom

I’ve watched Lockout a few times, starring the lovely Maggie Grace.

I thought Lockout was a decent B action movie.

Wow. “From a producer of The Batman” basically reads like “Brought to you the the cleaning lady at WB Studios”, although I guess the cleaning lady would at least have some insight into the movie industry…

You want to watch a collosally bad Netflix film? Do as I did and watch Brazen (based on a Nora Roberts book).

It was about as bad as you’d expect - with a heroine who claims to write books with strong female characters… who ends up needing to be rescued by the cute cop love interest (while dressed up in bondage attire, naturally). At least it was a short bad (sub 100 mins).

Nora Roberts fans only (and maybe die-hard Alyissa Milano fans). Tho an MST3K take might be a LOT of fun…