Netflix Quitting Disc Business

Shame about Best Buy, but I haven’t been in an actual Best Buy store in years. I figured they would still keep selling stuff online (I still buy stuff from them that way during big sales), but not even that? That really sucks.

Oh well, at least we have a huge clearance sale at some point to look forward to, maybe.

Best Buy is not closing. They have decided to stop selling DVDs and BluRays sometime in 2024. I go there quite often. Their movie/TV-show aisle shrank a lot this year and it was obvious they will stop selling them soon.

As I mentioned just few posts above, they are doing fine selling a lot of other items and for many of which, it’s my preferred store, retail or otherwise.

Didn’t want to start a new thread for this one, but this is all kinds of shitty, and another reason to buy stuff on disc rather than digitally.

“Due to our content licensing arrangements with content providers, you will no longer be able to watch any of your previously purchased Discovery content and the content will be removed from your video library,”

What an incredibly shitty thing to do to customers.

Either Sony signed bad contracts with the TV providers, or the providers did something shady. For every other digital store I’ve experienced, you can always redownload your purchases, even if they’ve been pulled from the store completely. This is pretty terrible either way.

Yeah, if they’re not going to let you keep your content, they should refund it. It’s totally on Sony for not putting that in their licence agreement like basically every other digital media provider does.

Doesn’t Amazon completely delete stuff (Movies and TV) from your account as well, even if you’ve paid for it? Maybe I’m remembering wrong, but it’s the entire reason I’ve never bought a movie or TV show on Amazon.

I’ll either rent it, or buy the DVD.

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe there’s only one instance of purchased Amazon content being removed from someone’s purchases. Hilariously, it was 1984 by George Orwell.

While they may not do it, according to the dismissed lawsuit filed against them a few years ago, they definitely could…

Amazon Can Revoke Your Movie Purchases At Any Time (gamerant.com)

And there goes Redbox

The Verge did a big story about how it all went upside down fast for them

TLDR. The pandemic killed their business. There were just 33 movies released that entire year. That was normally what they would release in a quarter. Fewer movies, fewer rentals, and everyone got in the streaming game. Revenue collapsed and once they started missing payments, it was a vicious cycle.

That sucks. It was a good way to buy used games on disc too.

Gamefly still exists… for now.

But my happiness with their service continues to diminish. I have the 1 blu ray at a time option, and it takes OVER a week to return a movie and get one back. For instance, I have “Poor Things” coming shipped on July 1st. Still not here yet.

It just isn’t reliable like Netflix’s disc service was. I already canceled Gamefly, but they gave me a month for free to not cancel, so I guess we will see.