Netflix raises prices

I enjoy using the streaming via 360 / Computer and I barely used the disc option so that’s the one that’s going to go. Time to ship back Edge of Darkness.

Awesome – all rules of supply and demand have been suspended.

Given how rarely I get a new DVD, they’re going to be losing money if I get annoyed and cancel the DVD part of the plan. It would be nice if they had a non-unlimited DVD plan.

Not at all. There’s an increased demand for exclusive content licensing agreements and no change in the supply of valued content.

I’m only paying $8 for the streaming now, I never did add DVDs. While there is a lot of content on “DVD Only”, it’s never gotten to the point where there has been nothing on streaming that I’d want to watch. When we do want a realtively new movie that isn’t on streaming there is always Redbox for $1.

Fraknly I’m surprised Netflix even still offers DVDs through the mail. Even at bulk rates it’s got to be costing them 50% or more of the subscription fee just in shipping costs. Add in packaging and the cost fo labor to handle all the mail-outs and returns and it’s probably not very profitable. If they moved a lot more of the content over to streaming and upped the price of that to $10 a month I’d happily pay it.

The price increase will have me seriously looking at the competition. I have a concrete block house which makes getting WiFi in my living room spotty so I watching streaming video on my PC in the office. I prefer discs, but I like the convenience of streaming at times. I will probably cancel the streaming service. So they’ll get less money from me.

They do. It’s 1 DVD at a time/ limit twice per month for $5 bucks. I might go that route as well and save $3 bucks.

EDIT: It appears you can’t select a limited DVD plan in conjunction w/ unlimited streaming. Balls.

I’ll probably drop DVDs, but only after I’ve finished watching The Wire.

Powerline Networking dude.

With this prodding, if my wife can find the DVD she has had for the last 2 years… I will save $2.00 a month

Very cool, I’ll definitely look into to this.TYVM.

For me, Bluray > streaming > DVD*, so I’ll continue to have both; though I may downgrade from 3-discs-at-a-time to 2-discs-at-a-time. My real concern is that future licensing deals will mean we wind up with a hodge-podge of streaming services, each with their own set of exclusive content, forcing one to have multiple subscriptions to have access to all the content one wants (not unlike, say, cable TV channels).

*Except when it comes to foreign shows & movies where Netflix streaming only has the English dub, in which case DVD wins. [Guys, it’s not that hard to add an extra audio stream and subtitle option!]

You too, huh? Voluntary Manslaughter, Gamestop employee… what are you in for?

Yeah, I picked up some powerline network stuff a while back on newegg, because my old apartment had a bad configuration for wireless, and it was pretty cool stuff.

There’s nothing stopping you from just having two completely separate accounts. You lose the advantages of managing your queues together, but if the price is that important you can still make it work.

Once again those of us who actually care to watch recent releases get the shaft from Netflix.

Everyone who shrugs their shoulders because they still have their streaming take note: Netflix will have no qualms fucking you too down the line. The bandwidth only goes up and the studios are going to want better deals.

“Netflix has another year or two on most of these contracts, and then the game completely changes,” says Michael Pachter, analyst at Wedbush Securities.
Pachter predicts Netflix’s streaming content licensing costs will rise from $180 million in 2010 to a whopping $1.98 billion in 2012.

We’ll also be canceling our DVD plan and sticking with streaming.

We switched to the one at a time DVD plan a few months back, and even at that, we often hold on to the DVD for ages before we get around to watching it, because it’s so easy to watch streaming stuff on pretty much any TV in our house with all the assorted devices that support it. While it’s true that there is a fair amount of stuff missing from the streaming catalog, we don’t usually have problems finding things to watch, and honestly, if we really want to watch something that’s not available for streaming, chances are it’s available for rental from Amazon or iTunes, and we can still watch it right away. We’d have to rent two movies monthly from either of those sources to equal the Netflix DVD plan, and given our track record, that’s highly unlikely for us.

That said, someone upthread mentioned getting movies from the library, and I remembered that we’re just around the corner from the Bellevue public library, which I’ve never been in but know it’s huge. I went to check out the website to find that it’s actually part of the the larger KCLS and noticed they have a whole section for “downloads”, including movies, videos, music, eBooks and audiobooks. I realize that the selection is not going to include current releases (I assume) but is there anyone here that’s familiar with the process? Since the “rentals” are free with a library card, I assume they “expire” the same way rentals do if you get them through iTunes or Amazon?

I signed up for a library card anyway, because hey, it’s free. ;)

And Comcast just bumped my bill up by 6 dollars. $125.00 a month for HD DVR and HBO.

That’s what I used to pay for rent … in 1985.

I dropped Netflix a couple of months ago. The 28 day waiting period for new discs is nonsense and they only offered things I’d already seen or would never, ever consider watching via streaming. I now use Redbox, my local video store for TV shows on DVD, or just do without.

I used to have the 3 disk + blu-ray and streaming but cut down to 1 disk with blu-ray and streaming, which is fine with me and actually cuts my bill by $5 even after the increase.