Netflix’s Cowboy Bebop

The Last Jedi was okay, but NOBODY MESS WITH MY BEBOP FFS!!

(My first reaction to this thread.)

Better a series than a movie. I would prefer they do their own thing with the story instead of a full-on remake.

First two episodes should have its own vision and have strong characterization. It will be compared with the anime, but maybe it will be good enough for people that watched the anime many years ago.

This casting news isn’t terrible. It might even be good.

No news on who plays Ein yet.

Is the creator still alive? I would rather see more animated episodes.

Linked article says he’s consulting on the Netflix series.

They must be paying him a lot of money.

I think Cho is a solid choice, though it made me realize that I wish it had been Will Yun Lee.

Still don’t think this can work without the music of Yôko Kanno, but I like the casting FWIW.

Yeah, I don’t care what the casting is if we get new music.

As a big Firefly fan, I tried to get into the anime but was put off right away by what seemed like a lot of smoking. Hoping they somehow leave it out of the Netflix version but I’m not too optimistic about it. I’m sure I’m in the minority here but it’s like nails on a chalkboard to me.

I’m with you. Smoking did my Dad in and my Mom isn’t far behind. I abhor it and when I see a show doing the whole 50s-80s thing of “look at this cool cat over here with his cigarette, isn’t he just so cool!?” I want to punch someone in the throat.

Yep, same here, with my little sister getting hooked years ago too.

Yeah my older sister picked it up and at least one of her kids is now too. And all I can think is, “how fucking stupid are you? We watched Mom and Dad hack and cough every damn morning; we got a front row seat to what it does to you. How did you not learn anything from that!?”

Same. Like 50% of what made the show so great was the soundtrack.

John Cho is an awesome choice for Spike though, love it.

Too bad Marvel isn’t doing it, we could have had Tilda Swinton as Spike instead!

Last year a buddy pointed me to an essay series on Bebop that I really liked. No, not Tom’s series.

https://www.overthinkingit.com/series/overthinking-cowboy-bebop/

The author called out a number of great points, like the moral of Spike’s story in the Alien episode – Don’t Leave Food In The Fridge – works on a psychological level in addition to just being funny. And I think I finally have a hold on how Annie tied into Julia, Young Spike, and the old Vicious gang and how the closing credits visuals tied into the backstory. I recommend the essays, anyway.

No corgi, no deal!

Actually a husky is a decent choice, as they are beautiful dogs as well.