Netflix watch instantly on 360 recommendations

I’m not sure when it happened, but Gor showed up on Netflix at some point. The sequel is a fairly well known MST3k episode. Fun. (Jack Palance, who played a major role in the sequel, even shows up in the last 8 minutes.)

Also watched Horns on a whim. I went in blind without realizing that its star was Daniel Radcliffe, which turned out to be a good thing as it made the first 2/3 of the movie pretty wonderful for me and the last bits only fell apart due to serious script/story issues. I left the experience feeling like it would have made a better start to a TV series than a self-sustaining film, and wonder if that’s because of the writing.

If you like Peep Show, you should check out People Like Us, which shares the same humour of awkwardness does a similar POV camera thing, although in this case it’s dramatically justified.

That and Dolph Lundgren’s He Man and the Masters of the Universe are screaming at me for a double feature during a night of drinking.

Peep Show was too excruciatingly embarrassing for me to watch, but if you haven’t seen their sketch show That Mitchell and Webb Look, you should try it out.

Oh, and Black Mirror is excellent.

There is a movie up now called “Deadlands” which I found quite good. In some ways, it reminded me of apocalypto, but I found it better done. Instead of central/south American tribes, it seems to have more of a Pacific islander cultural vibe (it was made in new Zealand, apparently). I say vibe though, because the actual actors have a more varied ethnicity though.

It also has a feel of a martial arts movie, with very well done fight choreography.

Overall though, I found it entertaining. Kind of surprised I had never heard of it previously.

I recommended it one page ago. ;)

Can anyone recommend a good, light comedy on Netflix, preferably without a heavy romantic angle? The last few picks in my movie club have been dark and very emotionally draining–especially last week’s choice, The Snowtown Murders. I’d pick Ski Patrol, but I’ve already watched that and one of our rules is it has to be something we haven’t seen. Bonus points if there’s a rec center that needs to be saved from a greedy land developer.

I really liked In a World, but it does have some romantic shenanigans. Still, I’d say they’re minor. I don’t know that I’d describe it entirely as light, though, so YMMV.

Not sure how old you want to go since it’s for a movie club, but would stuff like Fletch or Planes, Trains, and Automobiles or Tapeheads be on the menu?

-xtien

How about ‘Wet Hot American Summer’ if you haven’t already seen it?

Nice recommendations so far.

If you haven’t seen Chicken Run, it’s a nice little prison escape comedy that’s done in claymation.

For even older movies, there’s movies like Twins, and Mr. Mom. Coming to America is a classic. Wayne’s World might not hold these days as it was a comedy for it’s time. But it might.

Here are some quirky ones:

We Are The Best! - fun movie about the making of a girl band with (almost) no talent.
Paul Williams: Still Alive - more of a cranky documentary, but my childhood fondness for Williams made it sweet.
Girl Most Likely - Kristen Wiig being very Kristen Wiig-gy
Frances Ha - Greta Gerwig is adorable as a terminal screw up

Some classics that you have probably seen:

Johnny Dangerously - Jew fargin’ bastages!
Bad Santa - maybe too offensive for a mixed audience
Election - Reese Witherspoon is an adorable foil to Matthew Broderick’s exasperated teacher
This is Spinal Tap - …but this one goes to eleven.
Zoolander - possibly the last decent Ben Stiller movie
Clueless - just a classic and Alicia Silverstone will steal your heart
9 to 5 - I haven’t seen this since it first came out. Loved it then but have no idea how it holds up.

Great suggestions. If you haven’t seen Goon, I recommend that. I didn’t think I would like a hockey comedy or buy Stifler as a lead actor. I was way wrong on both counts. There is a bit of a romantic angle, though.

Yay Johnny Dangerously! I have a massive soft spot for that movie. It still holds up too, girlfriend loved it when we watched it recently.

Holy crap, Tapeheads! I haven’t thought about that movie in something like 20 years - I need to check that out again!

I recently rewatched Naked Gun via Netflix, and it’s as hilarious as I remembered.

My brother showed me Johnny Dangerously once…

ONCE.

(Perfect suggestion.)

The suggestions are all fantastic, though I’ve seen most of them already. In A World has been on my queue for a while and might be a solid choice.

In no sense of the term would I describe Election as a “light comedy” anyway. Jesus.

Here’s a thought for you, trig.

Instead of being a sanctimonious douchebag, why not try to contribute something.

I was about to say I’m not sure if Frances Ha is a “light comedy” either, but geez, maybe I’d better not have an opinion.