Netflix watch instantly on 360 recommendations

Only once! Dat fargin bastage! Dat sumanabeesh! I’ll murder dat icehole!

;)

I reckon Election is fairly light. I mean, it’s not Bringing Up Baby, but it’s no Happiness either. But I guess my tastes skew dark - my favourite TV comedies after Arrested Development are Nighty Night and Jam.

Anyway, for films, and apologies if you’ve seen them before, but basically any classic Marx Brothers, screwball or Ealing comedy:

A Night At The Opera
Duck Soup
Animal Crackers
Monkey Business
Bringing Up Baby
His Girl Friday
Some Like It Hot
Arsenic and Old Lace
My Man Godfrey
The Ladykillers
Kind Hearts and Coronets
Passport to Pimlico
The Lavender Hill Mob

Rage, RAGE against the dying of the light…comedy.

A whole bunch of early (Doctors 1-7) Doctor Who episodes just showed up…

— Alan

Plug in Alexander on Netflix and just skip to 50 minutes in to see the Gaugamela scene. There are a lot of bad things about this movie, but Oliver Stone put together a tremendous battle sequence here. Hydapses is not nearly as good, though the instant terror of the elephant charge is fairly amazing.

— Alan

I love the idea of Alexander the Great, and even wrote a 12 page papers about it in High School I guess the equivalent is, but this movie just seems so long!

It’s also not very good in my opinion. It feels like an MTV version of the story of Alexander the Great. I bought a two pack on Vudu that had the final director’s cut of Alexander (I believe this is the third version they’ve released), as well as a copy of the director’s cut of Troy, and even with all the extra bits of the director’s vision included, it just didn’t work for me.

Circle, it’s lifeboat but but it seems to work. Wow all those no name actors really pull it off.

Those watching Beasts with No Nation might want to check out Sin Nombre, a movie by the same director about a family in Central America trying to get to America through Mexico. It’s really good. Might not be on Netflix US but if you have a vpn check it out.

Yeah, from US POV it is DVD only.

I am going to recommend Man From Reno. It is a fun crime/mystery film…not nearly as bad as it’s rating. (2 stars). Full disclosure is I got to attend a screening of it with Pepe Serna when he was pushing it. But I thought the film was good as well.

Recommend The Redeemer, a Chilean action drama antihero movie. It’s fairly stylish with revenge movie with some good fight choreagraphy, a decent score, and some semi interesting religious themes. Worth a watch, it’s all in Spanish. You’ve seen the plot many times before, but it’s pretty well done for what I’m sure is a low budget. The fight between him and Track Suit Guy is superb.

I think I need Kelly Wand to read that for me.

-xtien

Y’all should check out A Hard Day, a recent Korean thriller that just got added to Netflix. Basically, it’s a black comedy where a corrupt cop is juggling his mother’s funeral and an impending Internal Affairs investigation and ends up running over a man on the way to the funeral home. He’s quick thinking and capable but the situation just spirals further and further out of control from there. It’s really well made on pretty much every level. Funny, suspenseful, and while the protagonist isn’t the best person, he’s still pretty sympathetic.

I just watched “Cruel and Unusual”. The title made me think it was going to be a horror movie, but it isn’t. It’s more of a character drama/morality play. I think the total budget for this movie was about $6. The acting is nothing special, and the director’s previous experience seems to be a few shorts and an episode of Supernatural.

But the story works. In the first act, I kept saying, “well obviously it is going to end up that…”, but instead of whatever “that” was being revealed at the end of the movie, they’d reveal it a few minutes later. And the whole thing is pretty short. If you think about the rules-based stuff too much you’ll break it (although still a hell of a lot better than “Oculus”).

I guess what I liked about it is that it had a good ending, which is so rare in any movie, much less zero-budget indies.

This finally churned out in my DVD queue - It was an excellent recommendation. Thanks.

Adam Sandler wins again.

While answering a question about global movie production after the company’s expansion to over 130 new countries, Sarandos shared an interesting piece of information regarding Netflix’s existing movie business. Apparently Adam Sandler’s low-brow Western The Ridiculous Six is Netflix’s most-watched movie ever, a designation that includes both the service’s burgeoning original films and its licensed properties. “The Ridiculous Six, by way of example, in the first 30 days on Netflix it’s been the most-watched movie in the history of Netflix,” said Sarandos. “It’s also enjoyed a spot at #1 in every territory we operate in, and in many of them it’s still #1.”

Originally, TV episodes were the only things that would autoplay the next episode after one completed. In the last year or so, I found Netflix started autoplaying on other stuff. At first it was just trailers for upcoming Netflix things. Then it started to be other things they think you might want to see. I have noticed that Netflix thinks you want to watch their original content much more aggressively than it weights licensed items. Two or three times I have needed to act fast to stop the Sandler movie or Rob Schneider’s TV show from autoplaying. I’ll wager that is artificially pumping the numbers on Ridiculous Six.

On a positive note, that stopped when I switched from the PS4 to my TV’s built-in Netflix interface.

Also, “airplane edits” or versions of shows and movies sanitized for mature content may be coming as well.

The Get Down

Baz Luhrmann, New York City in the 1970’s.

I am totally on board with this.

“This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!”