Netflix watch instantly on 360 recommendations

“I’m tired of these monkey-fighting snakes on this Monday to Friday plane!”

“You mother knits socks in hell.”

-Tom

So last night, via Netflix, I did something I’ve been putting off for years: I finished “Better off Ted.” A while back I got like 8 eps into season 2 and just stopped because I kinda didn’t want it to end. Then the other day I introduced it to my girlfriend, who LOVES it, and we plowed through pretty much all of it in a few days. It was a bittersweet ending because fuck I’ll miss those characters.

So last night, via Netflix, I did something I’ve been putting off for years: I finished “Better off Ted.” A while back I got like 8 eps into season 2 and just stopped because I kinda didn’t want it to end.

I did pretty much exactly the same thing. Man, that show was the best.

God it was. Funny though, that since I’m done with it, I’m going through The Day Today (which sadly isn’t on Netflix). 4 episodes in now and I am just dying every time. ;)

Some pretty decent recent additions to UK Netflix: Big Trouble In Little China, Pi, Touch Of Evil and Bound.

Tom and Kelly both recommended a movie called The Overnight on the podcast. Looks like that’s now up for streaming on US Netflix.

I just checked Doctor (I am thinking of introducing myself wife to it) and a pop upnsaid it will only be available till February!

I just watched Timbuktu on the UK Netflix and really enjoyed it. It’s about the six month or so occupation of the city Timbuktu by the Islamist Tuareg rebels back in 2012, and how they ruled over the population. It got 99% on rotten tomatoes and an oscar nom for best foreign language film. It’s as close to a fair-handed look at the morality and humanity of these Islamist groups as we are likely to get on this planet without another say 40-50 years of historical separation.

Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films is an incredibly entertaining documentary. It covers the oftentimes hilarious history of Cannon Films and its founders, Menahem Golan and Yoram Globus.

I laughed out loud at some of the stories related by the folks who were there during its heyday. Two massive thumbs up.

I really should have these thumbs looked at. Should they really be this big? That can’t be healthy.

If you’re looking for a modern coming-of-age story that got excellent reviews, DOPE just came to Netflix. I had high expectations that weren’t quite met, but my better half really enjoyed it!

I saw this in the theater and remember enjoying it a lot. Worth a look, for sure.

Netflix now has Assassination, the 2015 Korean thriller/period piece about Korean liberation fighters attempting to carry out an assassination on a brutal Japanese officer and a Korean collaborator in 1933 Seoul. It is a fantastic movie, incredibly fast moving, well acted, intense and dramatic and sad and with huge action setpieces, and has been on a number of best of 2015 lists. You owe it to yourself to check it out.

I just watched this (DOPE), which is weird. Why did I watch this? I could not be further outside the demographic of this movie. Glad I did, though, it’s quite good. Laugh-out-loud funny in parts; quite affecting in others. Watch the first ten minutes, you’ll get drawn in.

Oh, and if you like time-travel movies at all, watch Time Lapse. Probably the fewest plot-holes of any time travel movie ever.

Just watched Victoria. It is a pretty cool single shot movie like Birdman but without the time dilation. Takes place during only one night/morning/small hours in Berlin.

That you would have known about if you read the front page or listened to the podcast. :)

I loved Victoria. And not just for the gimmick. The lead actors are sooo good. It was my second favorite movie from last year after Fury Road.

-Tom

I’m so glad it’s on Netflix now so more people have a chance to see it. I know a couple people I’m going to recommend it to immediately.

Ha, I might have known.

I also watched Creep with that guy in all those indie drama movies. Shaky cam format with a clever twist. I recommend going in blind on this one.

And Blade Runner: Theatrical Cut, which oddly enough I have never seen before. Holy shit what a completely different movie! The Directors Cut feels much more art house. Deckards little musings are just so funky and yet I liked it for some reason.

Which you would also know about if you visited the front page or listened to the podcast. :) But Patrick Brice’s far more interesting movie is The Overnight, which is also on Netflix.

I don’t mean to pick on you, since I see this mistake all the time, but the correct term is found footage. Creep is found footage. Shaky cam is a term for any handheld camerawork that isn’t manually or mechanically steadied. Victoria, for instance, is shaky cam, but it’s not found footage.

-Tom

I thought The Overnight was a lesser Duplass Brothers film. I liked The Overnight, but not enough to watch a far less interesting movie from the same director.