Netrunner returns (Fantasy Flight Games)

Netrunner is back:

Under the Android setting as LCG format

Never played it but now I get the chance to try it out. I know my youngest son will be happy to give it a go.

Thanks for the link. I played Netrunner for a while after it came out and enjoyed it. It wasn’t as easy to find opponents as for MtG, though. So I stopped.

Might be an opportunity to play it with my sons.

Wendelius

Oh wow! its my all-time favorite CCG. Nice to see WOTC finally let loose the property to someone who can use it.

loved netrunner, hope to see this on computer/ios. I never find opponents in ‘real life’

I was thinking the same thing; maybe they could try this LCG out on iOS.

Holy crap. My buddy and I have been playing netrunner for years.

This is awesome news. Sounds like they’re introducing specific corp and runner factions (not sure if that’s good or bad).

The cards seemed mostly different from the originals, and I’m sure that’s due to copyright concerns. I wonder if they’re going to be able to recycle any card effects verbetem, or if they all have to be distinct from the old game.

What’s interesting is that the only thing that seems in common w/ the old game is the name, and even that is technically now “Android: Netrunner”. The rules are the same, I’m sure, but game rules are notoriously hard to protect. As long as the rulebook was rewritten with new text, I don’t think there’s anything that can be done about it.

Richard Garfield is still credited for the design, but I’m left wondering how much permission or licensing WOTC had to give if nothing was recycled verbetim.

This feels similar to what Richard did with the Spectromancer port w/ new card names and art made by different devs on iOS. I wonder if the’s got some sort of legal leeway figured out.

Card text has been recycled verbatim. (Adonis promotion == Rockerboy promotion)

Based on the changes I can see from that link I suspect they have licensed the WotC IP (all game mechanics) but NOT the R. Talsorian Games IP. (Cyperpunk 2020 inspired terminology, card names and flavour text), either because they want to tie it to their own IP or because they couldn’t get an agreement.

It’s a shame because the cyperpunk 2020 slang pervading the game felt so right :)

Day one purchase for me anyway :) So pleased to see this resurrected.

Loved Netrunner back in the day. I’ll be keeping an eye on reviews and session reports before making a decision on getting with the program.

I have a friend headed over to the US and I’m very much tempted to e-mail him to buy me the base set and the expansions.

Can anyone who already has it give their thoughts on the game? I’d hate to call in a favor and force a friend to lug it across the World, for a lemon of a re-make.

If you played and liked the original, you will like this (after the expansions come out). It’s the same game (so far).

Though he will not be able to buy you the “expansions,” because no expansions are out yet. You might consider buying 2-3 of the base sets, as the base set is lumpy distribution and does not contain 3 of each card.

You can play just fine with one base set, but most people think having 2 base sets is probably the sweet spot for deck building. You need 3 if you want to have 3 of each card.

I haven’t played the original Netrunner in a while but I have been enjoying this new version. The convenient thing about buying it in box form is that fantasy flight has included the counters you will need for this game. I like the new artwork alot and the Android theming works really well. The gameplay is nice and tight and it doesn’t take too long to learn. It takes a little longer to learn some strategies but the risk/reward decisions you are making start to become clear with a little study of the cards. The factions included in the base box give a good variety so replayability is pretty good.

The big complaint is the card distribution. To really get the three copies of each card you’ll have to buy three boxes. I bought two and I think I am pretty good but even with just the core set there is plenty of game in there.

I kind of rambled all over the place but are there any particular questions? Overall I heavily endorse this game.

Tom M

You do not need to buy 3 boxes. 2 at the most, and you’ll be just fine with 1. Most of the stuff that there’s only 1 copy of in the original box has a limit of less than 3 anyway.

GloriousMess is an absolute bastard as the Corporation player.

Thanks for the info guys.

I still have a lot of the 1st edition run of the original Netrunner, any chance I can use some of the old cards to augment the cards in this re-make?

No, they’ve changed the style and wording.

As far as the first edition goes I keep it for posterity but I embrace the new version wholeheartedly. It is a card game so you may need to look up a few odd cases that may occur in a grey area of the rules, but overall they’ve learned from many years between the editions and made the new version cleaner. Also the artwork in each is definately a product of the time and to put the old art next to the new is jarring at best. I’ll never let my first edition go but I don’t see their use really either.

Tom M

I’m really looking forward to the upcoming data packs for this. I’ve only played two games (one corp, one runner) so far, but I played a lot of the original. I like the focus that the identity cards and the influence limits give the game. That, and Gabriel Santiago / Criminal Deck seems to be my favorite.

Rule 1 of netrunner, run as often as you can, as early as you can. :) I’ve won original games on turn one because the corp drew a hand of agendas and no ice.

Sounds like someone needs to Mulligan more often!

I love my old tagging and bagging corp deck. I hope I can replicate it here in the new edition.

You’ll want to look at Weyland and NBN cards.

Tom M